cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Prepaid to Monthly wth same phone number

ic3dloc
Neighbour

I was just wondering how I would be able to switch from a prepaid plan to a monthly plan but keep the same phone number? There is a link in the prepaid management page that says "Switching to a monthly plan" but directs to the monthly plan store page. Following that it only appears to send me another SIM card and another phone number, which I don't want.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Once the new SIM arrives, you can port your number from your prepaid plan to your new postpaid plan, closing your prepaid plan automatically.

This will retain your current number, and cancel the number which was assigned to the new SIM.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Once the new SIM arrives, you can port your number from your prepaid plan to your new postpaid plan, closing your prepaid plan automatically.

This will retain your current number, and cancel the number which was assigned to the new SIM.

NFtoBC

It doesn't seem to work. Anywhere that I can find that would transfer the number between accounts shows that it can't be done because the existing number (the prepaid number) is in use. Phoning the Telus porting number comes back with "I'm sorry, the request cannot be processed".

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The usual step is to get, and set up the postpaid account, with a number, then transfer (port) the prepaid number to the new account, abandoning the temporary number initially assigned.

NFtoBC

I have the new account all setup with a number but I every time I try to port the number online it says it is being used by another Telus account and the phone option is unable to process the request. I haven't found any other information about this.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Then contacting Telus directly seems the next step.

NFtoBC

Telus needs to be transparent about the low end quality of service for its prepaid plans. People wouldn’t select this in the first place if they knew they were getting access to only 3G and limited network coverage. Shame on you Telus. I’m a prepaid customer, just trying to be cost conscious, but I can hardly handle the poor quality of the network. I looked into switching to a monthly plan, and uncovered that indeed I was paying for low end service. I’m canceling with Telus. There’s better monthly plans elsewhere.