cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legit or a scam?

Loki08
Just Moved In

I just got a call from Telus - 1-855-255-8828 (caller ID said Telus as well)

Tried offering me discounted phones first, which I declined.

He then asked me what my current plan was ($45 for 30GB), and then offered $30 for 40GB.

I checked the phone number via google search and 1-855-255-8828 did come back to Telus Customer Service.

He then said he would need to send me a new Sim card as the promotion needed to be tied to a new Sim card...seemed kind of fishy to me but I went with it anyway.

Then asked the personal details, name, address, DOB, DL number, DL number expiry. He then wanted a second form of verification, like a passport or SIN number. This is where I said I wouldn't be able to give it to him.

I did forget to mention he asked me earlier in the call what my PIN number was but I legitimately didn't remember it.

So after I said no to the passport/SIN, he said to go reset my PIN online, which I did promptly. Gave him the PIN and he said everything was fine.

I asked him to e-mail me details of the contract right away and he said it wouldn't be done until Monday.

Is this too good to be true or legit?

1 REPLY 1

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's very possible whoever called you had spoofed the number in order to make it seem legit. The number you've provided - while a real TELUS number - is for a completely unrelated department that would have no involvement with our mobile products. If you've provided your personal info, I would report this to the Canada Anti-fraud Centre.

For future reference, you can always ask TELUS reps to note the details of the offer and call back using the phone number found on our official site.