cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing Error and Terrible Customer Service

JY208
Neighbour

Greetings.

I am beyond frustrated with the terrible service that Telus has provided and the level of incompetence demonstrated.  I have been trying to cancel my home service since April 12, 2024 yet no one is taking any action to resolve.

April 12, 2024

I called and spoke to Ena to cancel my home phone, internet and optic TV service.  I was transferred to Arnie who assured me that he would cancel my service.  He provided me instructions on returning the equipment and stated that I would get a pro-rate refund in 6-8 weeks as I had paid for the full pay period.

April 13, 2024

I returned my equipment and have a receipt from Canada Post with the tracking number to confirm.

May 1, 2024

I called and spoke to Francis as I received an outstanding bill notice.  He transferred me to Sebastian who confirmed that my service was cancelled and to disregard the bill.

July 1, 2024

I called and spoke to John as I received another outstanding bill notice.  He apologized and stated that account was not cancelled due to system issues and assured me that he would have this issue resolved.  He stated that a final notice will be sent to me along with a refund cheque between July 28 to August 28.

September 20, 2024

I called and spoke to Jordi.  For some reason my account was cancelled on August 24, 2024 instead of April 12, 2024.  He said there’s nothing we can do for you.  He informed me that I needed to call Collections to have the issue resolved.  Why did my account get referred to a Collections agency?  I had followed all the instructions provided, yet the onus is on the customer to resolve a mistake made by Telus?  It makes no sense that Telus cannot change the cancelation date to the correct date.

I called the Collections agency and informed them of the situation and that I am disputing the charges.  They said I need to contact Telus to have the issue resolved. 

I called Telus and spoke to Louisa.  She reviewed my account and confirmed that I had called in April to cancel my service.  She stated that the Collections agency will contact the Credit Bureau of Telus to review and someone would contact me within 3-5 working days.

October 4, 2024

I called and spoke to Jafet as no one called me back.  He transferred me to the manager, Armando.  He apologized for the error, but then stated that the onus is on me to contact the Collections agency to have them contact Telus.  He said that they have a policy where they cannot contact the Collections agency.  This makes no sense as Telus was able to contact them to initiate the debt. 

I called the Collection agency who gave me the same answer as before.  The Collection agency does not call Telus to resolve this issue.  They just collect the debt.

October  11, 2024

I called the Collections agency to confirm the status of my account.  They said it was closed – client request per Collections agent.

I called Telus and spoke to Lude.  She repeated the same reply from Armando – that I need to call the Collections agency to have them contact Telus.  She transferred me to Hanna.  Hanna said she would submit a request to the Back Office team so that they can review and resolve this issue.  She stated that she would call back on October 17, 2024.

October 25, 2024

I called and spoke to Brandon as no one had returned my call.  He stated that my account was referred to a different Collections agency and said I would have to call them to dispute the charge and have them contact Telus.

Does it make sense that Telus refuses to take action for their error?  They acknowledge fault, apologize but take no responsibility.  Instead of getting a pro-rate refund, I get sent to Collections.  Why is the onus put on the customer?  They originally informed me that they cannot contact the Collections agency, yet they are able to have the account reassigned to a different Collections agency.  They could have just reviewed and resolved it instead of having it reassigned.  This has dragged on for over 6 months.  This feels like Telus is being vindictive to customers who choose to cancel their services.  I am not sure what my next steps are – file a complaint with the CRTC, contact various consumer protection agencies, contact the media?

6 REPLIES 6

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Hi @JY208 - We are really sorry to hear about this situation and we want to fix it. Please send us a message so we can take some personal information and resolve the issue ASAP

Greetings.
What personal information do you need to resolve this issue?

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

We can get access to your account if you follow this link to verify your account: https://smm.page.link/LXi6uYi4qZC6MWMr9

Once done, I will review the notes and credit the account if needed. We can also reach out to the collections company to remove your account from their list and have them not call you anymore

I have clicked on the link and authenticated my account.

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Thank you so much. Can you provide me with the best number to reach you?

How do I send this information to you privately?