cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS forwarding

Fartgoblin1999
Friendly Neighbour

Hi,

I’m a vintage phone enthusiast and basically put my smartphone in a drawer as much as I can. When my sim is in an older device, I can usually get call/text/data with my plan - but not always mms. When I get an mms message to one of these devices, it doesn’t alert the sender or me that the message wasn’t sent. I think it needs to be redirected at the server/network level. Is there a way to request this feature be turned off for my #? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KnightShadey
Advocate

Ugh, just typed out long reply explaining MMS messages getting stuck in-flight / in-queue on the network, and webpage refresh cleared the reply.

Anywaaaayy.... it happens more often when you swap devices or move between heterogeneous networks, or send big or complex msgs.

When you call support, ask them to see if there are any message stuck on the network, there used to even be a dedicated button for this, but now the system automatically flushes every so often. It's not as big a problem as it was (especially in the dumb phone days and even early iPhone & Android days). It still happens, and it's easy for support to check & clear.

While it is possible to forward SMS/MMS traffic it is a software solution either on device or in the cloud, no longer offered as a network option for consumers (used to be offered via special request, and was also user selectable on Mike/iDen).

While the cloud solution solves the moving around device issue, it doesn't fix anything stuck enroute, so it can still get stuck if it's because of msg content/format issues.

There are dedicated msg forwarding services, and both Samsung and Apple offer message forwarding via their cloud networks via Apple's iMessage and Samsung's Call & Text service, but that essentially has them act as a clearing house for your messages. It's free, unlike a dedicated msg service, but can be glitchy sometimes,

The on-device software options including Google Messages relies on you and the sender spreading the delivery/receipt, and requires active phones on your end (easier if you have two active TNs with one that can always forward to your swapping device number/sim. Again can have it's own glitches.

Another option, that costs a bit more money though, is using a VOIP service as your msg/call clearing house. Telus use RingCentral for their Business Connect, and you can see some of the scripting there to make it work.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Not entirely sure it's possible, but you could always give our Mobility team a call at 1-866-558-2273 to see if they can assist!

KnightShadey
Advocate

Ugh, just typed out long reply explaining MMS messages getting stuck in-flight / in-queue on the network, and webpage refresh cleared the reply.

Anywaaaayy.... it happens more often when you swap devices or move between heterogeneous networks, or send big or complex msgs.

When you call support, ask them to see if there are any message stuck on the network, there used to even be a dedicated button for this, but now the system automatically flushes every so often. It's not as big a problem as it was (especially in the dumb phone days and even early iPhone & Android days). It still happens, and it's easy for support to check & clear.

While it is possible to forward SMS/MMS traffic it is a software solution either on device or in the cloud, no longer offered as a network option for consumers (used to be offered via special request, and was also user selectable on Mike/iDen).

While the cloud solution solves the moving around device issue, it doesn't fix anything stuck enroute, so it can still get stuck if it's because of msg content/format issues.

There are dedicated msg forwarding services, and both Samsung and Apple offer message forwarding via their cloud networks via Apple's iMessage and Samsung's Call & Text service, but that essentially has them act as a clearing house for your messages. It's free, unlike a dedicated msg service, but can be glitchy sometimes,

The on-device software options including Google Messages relies on you and the sender spreading the delivery/receipt, and requires active phones on your end (easier if you have two active TNs with one that can always forward to your swapping device number/sim. Again can have it's own glitches.

Another option, that costs a bit more money though, is using a VOIP service as your msg/call clearing house. Telus use RingCentral for their Business Connect, and you can see some of the scripting there to make it work.

This is perfect thank you so much!