Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will this home network setup work?

flux1
Organizer

option1.jpg

option2.jpg

 as per diagrams, im unsure which would work better/ at all.

im about to subscripe to telus internet+tv  but cant really afford any downtime so would like to buy switches and cables so its ready to go. also with the current installation options i believe you are guided through but id like to have an idea first to know itll work

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Option 2 will not work since only LAN1 on the ONT is usable. Option 1 is your best bet.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Option 2 will not work since only LAN1 on the ONT is usable. Option 1 is your best bet.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

thanks for the response!

It looks like there has already been a prior fibre installation in this apartment because the white ONT box is already installed.

So with option 1 -

Would it just be a case of plugging the LAN1 of the ONT into the  t3000m WAN.

Then the ethernet patch cables for each room into each LAN port of the t3000m 

Then in each room i can attach a switch, to enable more than 1 device to be hardwired

im mainly confused about getting multiple hardwire connections in each room (computers in office and optik tv and xbox in living room)

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Just set it up like you have in the diagram. I have several switches connected to the LAN ports on the T3200M. All works well.

@Nighthawk  do you have any recommended switches that are known to work with optik

does telus supply switches? potentially 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Most gigabit switches should work fine. I have a Dlink, a Netgear and a Zyxel gigabit switch. The Zyxel switch is the one my Optik PVR is connected to but those are hard to find now and they got expensive.

Telus doesn't supply switches. I got some locally and at least one off Amazon.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

D-Link or TP-Link switches have worked well for me. You may need a more capable switch if you are running Optik TV packets through them, but the low cost ones are fine for all other internet traffic.
Telus does not supply switches. Their responsibility ends at their equipment (router & TV), your network is left to you. I recommend hardwiring anything you can, so as to leave the Wi-Fi for wireless-only devices.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

thanks!

yes im looking to hardwire as much as possible when i move to telus. (wanting the fibre speed benefits)  

one of the switches i need will be connecting xbox one and the optik box. and i did read there can be some conflicts with optik.

I also read the the xbox one doesnt play nice with the t3000m if hardwired and a switch is recommended to solve that issue