cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Telus selling services to international criminals?

keb
Helpful Neighbour

Repeated early-morning VISA scam calls from boiler rooms in India.

This morning, I pushed the botton and spoke with "Sam". I gave him my usual advice about his pencil and what to do with it.

One automated message today gave a number for call-backs: 519-398-1988.

I called it from a different number. "Eric" answered, and I asked him whether "Sam" was comfortable.

I redialed that number and was informed that it is no longer in service.

I dialed that number from the number I had received the initial call on. It rang.

I am now receiving repeated calls from the boiler room, like a hive of angry bees I have poked. This happens from time to time. (I cannot afford not to answer calls, even from unknown numbers; I work freelance and I have very sick family members in other area codes.)

Information online says this number belongs to Telus:

https://www.datacorelookup.com/Phone/519-398-1988

Visa scammers and their illk are not just annoyances. They are big-time international organized crime, earning huge amounts of money for criminals.

What is Telus doing to stop its services being used for this purpose?

Does Telus have no safeguards in place to identify abuse of its services?

In the past, I have identified numbers being used for the CRA scam and traced them to a smaller Ontario service provider.

I ask Telus the same question I asked them (yes, I have emailed abuse @):  

Your subscribers are using these numbers for extremely high volumes of calls, and switching numbers every few days. Why are there no mechanisms in place to detect and deter these criminals?

If anybody here can tell me, you are welcome to do so!

22 REPLIES 22

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Be done? Sure. Let's simplify this then. You cannot verify who owns the phone numbers. (Ontario? Likely Bell or Rogers if not one of many VoIP providers.) You do not have Telus as a service provider. Contact your service provider in order to deal with incoming scam calls. The CRTC has requried that Canadian providers have some countermeasures to deal with these type of calls. Call control was Telus' answer and it's very effective.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

keb
Helpful Neighbour

Oh, I can make it much simpler than that.

I did not ask to be instructed, lectured at, patronized or condescended to by boys who are very definitely not my superiors.

I also did not ask for your or anyone else's theories about who controls the telephone numbers in question.

Never did. Not ever.

I remain sublimely uninterested in any of the above.

We cool?

Ta ever so much. And buh bye now!