cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WPS security

JR_99
Helpful Neighbour
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows how secure the WPS is on the Telus’ modems. Is it something that you’d leave on by default or something that should only be enabled when you need to use it? Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

WPS in general has long been known to be insecure and far easier to break than a password. PIN based WPS is the least secure. Non-PIN based WPS is slightly more secure as it only activates when the button is pressed on the router. That applies to any router that has WPS no matter the manufacturer.

It is one of the first features I turn off when I get a new router. I only turn it on if I ever absolutely need it and I can't remember th last time I actually used WPS. On the T3200M there are settings to turn off both PIN based WPS and WPS push button configuration. There are actually two pairs of settings if SmartSteering is disabled. One pair for 5GHz wifi and one pair for 2.4GHz wifi. The PIN based WPS was off by default on both frequencies.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

WPS in general has long been known to be insecure and far easier to break than a password. PIN based WPS is the least secure. Non-PIN based WPS is slightly more secure as it only activates when the button is pressed on the router. That applies to any router that has WPS no matter the manufacturer.

It is one of the first features I turn off when I get a new router. I only turn it on if I ever absolutely need it and I can't remember th last time I actually used WPS. On the T3200M there are settings to turn off both PIN based WPS and WPS push button configuration. There are actually two pairs of settings if SmartSteering is disabled. One pair for 5GHz wifi and one pair for 2.4GHz wifi. The PIN based WPS was off by default on both frequencies.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂