cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use internet on my laptop only

Mgwhis
Just Moved In
I’m having trouble getting on the net with my laptop (2013ish MacBook Air). When I try loading any page (tried chrome & safari) I get “this site can’t be reached”.

It started off last night, where all pages randomly began running very slow, except Facebook for some reason, which was still rapid. my phone was running fine. I tried restarting my laptop, but afterwards nothing loaded. I then fiddled with the proxy settings for my wifi, which solved the issue. This morning, after turning off my laptop (as opposed to sleeping it overnight), I am now unable to connect to the internet at all, even reproducing the same steps as last night. I have tried:
Restarting my laptop again
Dis and reconnected to my wifi network Reset the router
Factory reset the router
Fiddled with some of the router settings
Disabled all my proxy settings
Enabled/Disabled “Passive FTP Mode (PASV)”
Enabled/Disabled my laptops firewall
Flushed my DNS

When I logged into the router, it showed my laptop’s connection. My phone works, our Xbox works, our smart tv works, my roommates laptop works. Just my laptop doesn’t.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@WestCoasterBC  The 2013 Air doesn't have an ethernet jack unless using a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter which Apple sold separately for like $70.

@Mgwhis  If your phone and other devices can connect, the issue will typically be with the MacBook. Resetting the gateway is usually a last resort and if only one device is impacted, it rarely fixes this issue. Slowly loading pages won't be DNS either. In the past the 2013 Airs were known for having wifi issues to the extent that Apple had to release a specific update for just that model.

A few questions: 

1. Which gateway/router do you have?
  2. Are you using the Telus Boost wifi access points?
  3. Is Smart Steering enabled? (merges both wifi networks into one) If yes, try disabling it. Log in to the router, then Wireless Setup > SmartSteering
    1. If disabled, are you connecting to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network?
  4. Which MacOS are you running?
  5. Does your MacBook still show it's connected to your wifi network?
  6. Are you getting any error messages?
  7. Are you using a VPN on your MacBook?
  8. Do you have custom DNS settings on there or did you leave them blank (default)?
  9. Have you run the wireless diagnostics on your MacBook? What was the result?
  10. Have you checked for malware? (yes Macs can get it and it's more common than you think) Try running the free version of Malwarebytes on there and see if it finds anything.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Have you connected the laptop with a Ethernet cable and tested it.

@WestCoasterBC  The 2013 Air doesn't have an ethernet jack unless using a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter which Apple sold separately for like $70.

@Mgwhis  If your phone and other devices can connect, the issue will typically be with the MacBook. Resetting the gateway is usually a last resort and if only one device is impacted, it rarely fixes this issue. Slowly loading pages won't be DNS either. In the past the 2013 Airs were known for having wifi issues to the extent that Apple had to release a specific update for just that model.

A few questions: 

1. Which gateway/router do you have?
  2. Are you using the Telus Boost wifi access points?
  3. Is Smart Steering enabled? (merges both wifi networks into one) If yes, try disabling it. Log in to the router, then Wireless Setup > SmartSteering
    1. If disabled, are you connecting to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network?
  4. Which MacOS are you running?
  5. Does your MacBook still show it's connected to your wifi network?
  6. Are you getting any error messages?
  7. Are you using a VPN on your MacBook?
  8. Do you have custom DNS settings on there or did you leave them blank (default)?
  9. Have you run the wireless diagnostics on your MacBook? What was the result?
  10. Have you checked for malware? (yes Macs can get it and it's more common than you think) Try running the free version of Malwarebytes on there and see if it finds anything.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Looking for someone with systems administration experience. Happy to pay for advice that works over a phone call or messages. Problem as below:
I’m having trouble getting on the net with my laptop. When I try loading any page, I get “this site can’t be reached”.

It started off last night, where all pages randomly began running very slow, except Facebook for some reason, which was still rapid. my phone was running fine. I tried restarting my laptop, but afterwards nothing loaded. I then fiddled with the proxy settings for my wifi, which solved the issue. This morning, after turning off my laptop (as opposed to sleeping it overnight), I am now unable to connect to the internet at all, even reproducing the same steps as last night. I have tried:
Restarting my laptop again
Dis and reconnected to my wifi network Reset the router
Factory reset the router
Fiddled with some of the router settings
Disabled all my proxy settings
Enabled/Disabled “Passive FTP Mode (PASV)”
Enabled/Disabled my laptops firewall
Flushed my DNS

When I logged into the router, it showed my laptop’s connection. My phone works, our Xbox works, our smart tv works, my roommates laptop works. Just my laptop doesn’t.

Which gateway/router do you have? T3200M
Are you using the Telus Boost wifi access points? Not sure. I live in company accommodation, so I don’t pay for the net. I just have the box in my room.
Is Smart Steering enabled? (merges both wifi networks into one) If yes, try disabling it. Log in to the router, then Wireless Setup > SmartSteering. Yes it is. However it was enabled before this problem occurred as well.
If disabled, are you connecting to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network?
Tried disabling it, connected to both, same issue with both.
Which MacOS are you running? 10.13.6. My laptop is too old to update further.
Does your MacBook still show it's connected to your wifi network? Yes. Green light and all.
Are you getting any error messages? Just the standard chrome error message. Site can’t be reached, page refused to connect. Err_connection_refused
Are you using a VPN on your MacBook? No
Do you have custom DNS settings on there or did you leave them blank (default)?
There is a couple in there but I didn’t put them in... on the left column (DNS servers) there’s 2 IP addresses, but only an option to add more, the remove button is disabled. On the search domain column, there is simply “telus”, also with the remove button greyed out.
Have you run the wireless diagnostics on your MacBook? What was the result?
Just ran it, this is interesting: it says I’m using custom web proxy settings, and to try disabling them in my proxy settings. When I go there, the web proxy (HTTP) protocol is not enabled, and no information is there. I tried enabling it so I could disable it again, but no dice.
Have you checked for malware? (yes Macs can get it and it's more common than you think) Try running the free version of Malwarebytes on there and see if it finds anything. No I haven’t checked. I don’t have any antivirus installed, any recommendations?

@Mgwhis did you manage to fix the problem? I seem to be having the same exact issue with a MacBook Pro (2016ish). Thanks for any input.