cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3200M not wired for Gigabit from ONT

jjdinks
Friendly Neighbour

Hi all,

Yesterday I upgraded my Internet from Telus 75 to PureFibre Gigabit. I was noticing that I was only getting/maxing out at 100mbps through the T3200M (ethernet and wireless).
That's when I went down to the basement where my ONT was and connected an ethernet cable directly to it and got the Gigabit speeds. I noticed that the ethernet bridge between my T3200M and the Telus ONT has been substituted by, to me, what seems like an ethernet to DSL adapter? This would make sense why I am maxing out at 100mbps when connected to the T3200M. 

I would assume I would need a technician to fix this?D72AAD51-681C-422D-9F44-6254407069D5_1_105_c.jpeg1921F1F4-6730-47CF-A5EF-4DC47E0631B0_1_105_c.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes your home phone line will not  need to be changed , it is ok as it is from the ont to the ethernet , adsl adapter.

you would need a minimum of 100 m or longer , custom make ethernet cable from the ethernet port ont modem to the T3200M.

Telus only provides a  standard 5ft ethernet cable. Do you know how to run the ethernet cable from your basement to your main floor?

You do NOT want an ethernet cable over 100m as that's the max length a run supports. Telus provides more than just a 5ft ethernet cable. 

@jjdinks If you are unable to bypass that adapter and get an ethernet cable pulled through and connected to where the T3200 is, please call Telus. If they installed that adapter and it's limiting your speed, they will need to correct it. If there is a coax jack near where the T3200 is located, they may even be able to put a MoCA adapter where the ONT is located and use coax to get the signal to the T3200.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Which port on the T3200 is that adapter connected to? Is there another adapter at the T3200 also? How far away is the T3200 located?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

jjdinks
Friendly Neighbour

It is connected to the ethernet WAN port on the T3200.
The T3200 is located upstairs and a little bit away from the ONT, so it is not directly underneath the ONT.
So it goes. ONT out on LAN1 via ethernet to the ethernet to DSL switch then upstairs theres a ethernet wall outlet that is connected to the T3200.
I assume it is this adapter that is making my T3200 not give Gigabit speeds.

Anonymous
Not applicable

D you know what the model or manufacturer of the dsl to ethernet adapter?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

How recently was the fibre installed? If fairly recently and if you have the installers card, maybe reach out to them. If not, I'd recommend reaching out to support to get a tech out to ensure you're able to get gigabit to the T3200. I've never seen them use that type of adapter before. The big issue will be if the line leaving the adapter and going upstairs only has 2 pairs of wires in it like a regular phone cord. If it does then it's physically incapable of delivering gigabit speed. Gigabit needs all 4 wire pairs on the ethernet cable. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You would probably need  a separate phone  line from the ont modem which has a RJ11 phone jack for the phone line  which telus technicians from the fibre team can help with re connecting between the T3200 m and the ont modem

Also  a separate line for ethernet on data 1 or lan 1 from the ont modem to the T3200 modem which you can install yourself or you would have to ask a it company or  pc or network repair technicians that install network wiring  or structural cabling of ethernet , coaxial or phone lines.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Anonymous No, you are incorrect. Phone service, if they have a landline, would be wired to the ONT, not the T3200. There is never any case where an RJ11 cable is connected between the ONT and the T3200.

You are also incorrect in recommending an IT company, a PC repair company, or a "network repair technician" (which isn't a real thing). None of them, for the ones that exist, would be re-wiring a residence. The only correct answer is to contact Telus and have a tech sent out to ensure a proper connection is in place between the ONT and the T3200.

jjdinks
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks,
The fibre was first installed 2-years ago I think. It was when Telus was rolling out fibre in Edmonton.
I'm pretty sure my home phone line will be okay right? I just need to get rid of that adapter and run a straight ethernet to ethernet connection from the T3200M and ONT.
Would Telus be able to fish this ethernet to ethernet port for me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes your home phone line will not  need to be changed , it is ok as it is from the ont to the ethernet , adsl adapter.

you would need a minimum of 100 m or longer , custom make ethernet cable from the ethernet port ont modem to the T3200M.

Telus only provides a  standard 5ft ethernet cable. Do you know how to run the ethernet cable from your basement to your main floor?

jjdinks
Friendly Neighbour
No, I could probably find some videos online or just use the existing DSL run to the T3200 and use that to fish the new ethernet cable in.

As for my home phone, I am pretty sure it is not on fiber so its not being connected from the ONT. I believe this is true because on the MyTelus website I am offered the option to switch the home line to fiber.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your home phone line is on a separate line, on the existing copper line.

The ethernet is on a separate line, then a ethernet cable run between the ont modem and the adsl, ethernet adapter.

jjdinks
Friendly Neighbour
so ethernet cable from ONT to T3200 right so that I get Gigabit from the T3200?
No adapters needed right?
And to once again confirm, I will need to make this cable run myself?

Yes, the cheapest solution is to run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the T3200M WAN port. If logistics are too complicated for doing that (walls and floors) then next cheapest option is @Nighthawk suggestion of using MoCA adapters if you have an existing coax (cable) run. Third choice is PowerLine adapters that use the house power wiring.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Anonymous wrote:

You do NOT want an ethernet cable over 100m as that's the max length a run supports. Telus provides more than just a 5ft ethernet cable. 

@jjdinks If you are unable to bypass that adapter and get an ethernet cable pulled through and connected to where the T3200 is, please call Telus. If they installed that adapter and it's limiting your speed, they will need to correct it. If there is a coax jack near where the T3200 is located, they may even be able to put a MoCA adapter where the ONT is located and use coax to get the signal to the T3200.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you show a picture of  ONT device ports?

Can you show a picture of the T3200M modem/ router ports?

ONT / ADSL adapter connects to your ADSL/VDSL port on your T3200M modem router

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Anonymous The ONT is not the issue. The tech that installed the fibre / ONT would have disconnected the DSL and phone lines. If the line was connected to the phone jacks on the T3200, there would be no internet.