cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IPv6

Sam93
Neighbour

I recently switched to Telus and have run into the issue of my IP address changing regularly. The problem with that is I do a bit of Google Analytics tracking on some websites - I filter out my internal hits on the sites via an IP filter in Google Analytics. With my IP address changing regularly, this makes filtering out my internal traffic not an option.

I'm not very knowledgeable about this, but I poked around in the admin panel for my router (T3200M) and did see an option to change my IPv6 IP address from dynamic (DHCPv6) to static. The problem is that this forces me to use custom DNS servers. I'm not exactly sure what to put into the primary and secondary DNS fields here. Apologies in advance for the lack of knowledge here. I've looked around on these forums but can't quite seem to find what I'm looking for.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes. The prefix is unique to you and should only change infrequently. The same prefix apples to all nodes in the local area network (unless you set up subnets, which is beyond me). 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jcrum
Just Moved In

If you want a static IP address, you need to request this from Telus. That being said, static addresses apparently don't currently work with IPv6.

Apparently they only offer a static public IP on business accounts. Very disappointing, seeing as Shaw had this by default. 

You do not need to request a static IPV6 from telus under any scenario.

Kent2
Coach

Is it the IPv6 prefix that is changing or only the interface id. The telus supplied prefix, in my case, has not changed in the year and a half I have been on pure fibre. There are normally two interface ids, one is static and the other changes as a security issue. This is done by the device not telus.

Ah, I see. The prefix looks to be static. This prefix should still be unique to me, right? If so, that will work as I can filter out anything starting with that prefix (web analytics stuff)

Yes. The prefix is unique to you and should only change infrequently. The same prefix apples to all nodes in the local area network (unless you set up subnets, which is beyond me). 

APPSYNERGY
Just Moved In

You can select your own static IPV6 alias by setting it in your network settings on the device. You could pick the one assigned to you and or just change the last group of digits in the IP to anything you want. It works. With IPV6 there is no NAT. It is public facing. No one can stop you from hosting on an IPV6 address. Make sure you use stateless IPV6 and the firewall is off for only IPV6 in the router. Firewall is not needed for ipv6. These addresses are so long you don't have to worry about port scanning and most clients will grab randomized addresses every so often including windows 10.