cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PureFibre 1.5 GB but speed remains 1GB

Ming
Organizer

Hi Community,

I upgraded my home network to 1.5GB and  all my hardware to get the 1.5 GB download speed, but no success. 

I reviewed some posts on the internet (Reddit, Telus, Unifi), but haven't found the solution.

Ideally, the internet should work the following way.

Telus => Pure Fibre => SFP+ => TELUS Wi-Fi Hub => Cat 8 => 2.5G PC ethernet port (my PC).

There is a problem with this setup. The TELUS Wi-Fi Hub only supports 1GB ethernet output. 1.5G only for multiple devices try to download content.

So I have the new setup below:

Telus => Pure Fibre => SFP+ => DreamMachine SE => SFP(10GB) => Enterprise 24 ports (2.5GB) => Cat 8 => 2.5G PC ethernet port.

I tested my PCs and data can be transmitted at 2.5GbE internally. I think the problem is from Telus's side. The reason is DreamMachine SE shows the SPF+ is 1GbE connection only. Please see the below screenshot.

Solutions would be to ask Telus to upgrade the cable or their side connection to 2.5 GbE or 10GbE to get 1.5 GB of download speed. Am I correct?

2022-12-04 14_02_06-UniFi Network - Dream Machine Special Edition and 13 more pages - Personal - Mic.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Ming Wrote: Pure Fibre ==> SFP+ ==>  NH20A(Bridge mode) ==> 10GbE RJ45 port ==> Cat8 ==> 10 GbE RJ45 transceives (Amazon) ==> UDM SE(port11) ==> Enterprise 24 ports (2.5GB) ==> my PC

In this case, I should get 1.5 GbE download speed.

If you are able to convince Telus to upgrade you to a NA20A, as you say, RJ45 from the 10Gbps port to the SFP+ WAN port on your UDMPro SE. (You should lock that port at 10Gbps in the controller). I have utilized the SFP+ to RJ45 Transceiver that you mention above with some success. I have had better success with the MikroTik S+RJ10 in my Unifi stack. More expensive that the one you mentioned, however, I know it works with all the Unifi devices that I've plunged them into.

Hope this helps.... Cheers

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Ming Wrote: I upgraded my home network to 1.5GB

I would be curious to know what Telus device you replaced with the UDMPro SE? The reason I ask is this could be a rather easy fix/solution if they installed either the NH20A or the  Nokia XS-250X-A. Place that device into bridged mode and connect your 10Gbps port on that device to the WAN port on the UDMPro SE. That should solve the problem.

The problem of course is the fact that your UDMpro SE is connected at 1Gbps to Telus. Your bottleneck...

Now failing that I have seen a solution that works as well if your were left with a T3200M modem that requires an additional piece of equipment to replace the modem itself.

Cavate included here... This method is less stable, and sometimes fails to work. As well you will receive no tech support from Telus if you employ any of these non standard methods of connecting.

I have seen the installation of a MikroTik - CRS305-1G-4S+in switch/router included in installs. The trick here is to make sure the device is in switch mode, place the SFP module into a port, and then uses a DAC cable between the MikroTik device and your UDMPro WAN port. Make sure that the UDMPro WAN port is locked at 10Gbps. I have seen instances that if the port is in Auto it may fail.

Other solutions that I have seen to alleviate the problem is utilizing a pfSence box with a Broadcom 10Gbps Nic card installed, however that would remove your UDMPro SE form the equation altogether. I'm guessing not desirable. 

Now I assure you that contacting Telus to have them upgrade anything on there side if going to be a waist of time. The corporate line is that to achieve the full 1.5Gbps download speed you may be required to have multiple downloads simultaneously running. They really never supported a single 1.5Gbps connection.

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Ming Wrote: I upgraded my home network to 1.5GB and  all my hardware to get the 1.5 GB download speed, but no success. 

I was just reading some of the Unifi EA forums in regards to new firmware for the UDMPro SE. First thing I would do is upgrade to the new  UniFi OS - Dream Machine SE 3.0.13. I believe that could solve your entire problem.

Cheers....

@DrPacman Thank you for your solution. It is really helpful.

I also did some homework on Unifi forums and learns a lot from your first post.

Start with the Unifi OS version, all of my Unifi devices are up to date and my UDM SE is 3.0.13. Those devices are rebooted. UDM SE treats the WAN port (Port 11 SFP+ port) as 1 GbE port. So, the current version of Unifi OS won't fix the problem. I hope Unifi can fix this problem by releasing a new OS version. I want to upgrade to 2.5 GbE from Telus in the future.

Since the UDM SE only accepts 1 GbE / 10GbE at port 11(SFP+) or 1GbE/2.5 GbE at Port 10 (RJ45), I think the best solution, for now, is to ask Telus to get the NH20A.

The idea connection is:

Pure Fibre ==> SFP+ ==>  NH20A(Bridge mode) ==> 10GbE RJ45 port ==> Cat8 ==> 10 GbE RJ45 transceives (Amazon) ==> UDM SE(port11) ==> Enterprise 24 ports (2.5GB) ==> my PC

In this case, I should get 1.5 GbE download speed. Correct me if I am wrong.

PS: here is my Unifi post: PureFibre 1.5 GB but speed remains 1GB | Ubiquiti Community

Some people also have the same issue/question.

@Ming Wrote: Pure Fibre ==> SFP+ ==>  NH20A(Bridge mode) ==> 10GbE RJ45 port ==> Cat8 ==> 10 GbE RJ45 transceives (Amazon) ==> UDM SE(port11) ==> Enterprise 24 ports (2.5GB) ==> my PC

In this case, I should get 1.5 GbE download speed.

If you are able to convince Telus to upgrade you to a NA20A, as you say, RJ45 from the 10Gbps port to the SFP+ WAN port on your UDMPro SE. (You should lock that port at 10Gbps in the controller). I have utilized the SFP+ to RJ45 Transceiver that you mention above with some success. I have had better success with the MikroTik S+RJ10 in my Unifi stack. More expensive that the one you mentioned, however, I know it works with all the Unifi devices that I've plunged them into.

Hope this helps.... Cheers