cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Fraud

Soloracer
Neighbour

Received a letter from a company called "General Credit Services Inc."  that says I owed Telus $68.80 and that my land line was cancelled.  Funny thing is I cancelled my land line myself 3 years ago since we only use our cell phones.  Thinking this was a scam I called the Telus help line and after getting put through a bunch of automated hoops I finally get a live person.  Here is what I learned:

1)  Yes I attempted to cancel the land line back in 2022.  I was placed on a $2 a month plan.  I don't recall this but they claim I agreed.  At that time my last bill was $85.63 which I paid in full and due to pro-rating I ended up with a $15.67 credit.

2)  Someone changed my billing from paper to email.  And they got my email address incorrect.  I suspect they changed it from paper to email since at $2 per month they would lose money sending a paper bill but that is just my speculation.  I prefer a paper invoice.

3)  After my last payment 2 years ago I have not seen an invoice or bill from Telus. 

4)  My credit was used up by April 2023.  They also told me now that they also changed the rate from $2.00 to some other amount.  I still don't know what that amount is since I never received a bill.  I can guarantee if they increased the fees I would have cancelled the line since we don't use it.

End of the day Telus never informed me of charges owing or monthly increases.  When I asked their agent about it all he would say is that it was legitimate.  The amount is not the point - its the principal.   From the agents perspective they could have changed the rate to $100 per month without telling me and it would have been legitimate.  It's amazing how a credit collections agency can contact me but Telus cannot.  The agent said the best they could do was offer a $20 credit.  This was after he told me initially there was nothing he could do.  It is my position that I owe them nothing.  When my credit ran out and they increased the fees I would have cancelled it immediately.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of treatment?

2 REPLIES 2

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Definitely not the experience we want our customers to have, especially when it seems like some miscommunication being the cause. Give our Payment Services team a call at 310-2500 or 1-888-811-2500 and they can investigate for you.

Soloracer
Neighbour

Update:  Since this post I received a call from a Telus manager who has apologized and credited my account for these charges.  To be clear, the manager called as a result of my initial telephone complaint and not my post on this forum.