cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Connected over MoCA Bridge to Personal Router

hughboi
Neighbour

Hello,

I would like to bridge our homes T3200M Modem to a personal gaming router. However I have some confusion with how my roommates Telus Fibre Internet home setup affects this. Here's the internet wiring situation: ONT box in basement sends copper signal to MoCA adapter that connects to house coaxial which goes upstairs. On the second floor this coaxial comes out of the wall to a second MoCA adapter that converts back to ethernet and goes into the T3200M modem which acts as the current router as well for the house. We would like a better WiFi experience with my personal gaming router, so I imagined I could simply enable bridge mode on the T3200M and plug in my router to port1. I am new to using MoCA so I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the upstairs MoCA necessary if it is just being used to connect to the T3200M, which apparently has onboard MoCA capabilities? My roommate said it was necessary for fibre setup, but I'm doubtful.

2. Will this work with the ethernet from the MoCA upstairs going into the WAN port of the modem that I want to flip to bridge mode? My understanding is when bridge mode is on only port1 works? So how do I set this up with these MoCA devices going into the modem? Is still as simple as bridge mode on then ethernet cable in port1 to my gaming router?

Thanks,

Hugh.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@hughboi Wrote: When I turn on port bridging and connect my router should I be able to see it in the "Home Network" view on T3200M of connected devices?

In most cases if you have "Bridged Mode" turned on your T3200M you'll not be able to get to the routers web interface. The only way to correct this is to reset the T3200M back to factor/basic mode to get t the interface.

The other part of your question above raises a few questions for me. I hope I understand this correctly. You have Telus fibre coming into the residence to some device that outputs a Ethernet type signal. That Ethernet signal is be feed to a MoCa adapter and sent via coax to another location in the residence. That coax signal is being reconverted to Ethernet and feed to the T3200M router at that location, If the is a correct assumption on my part, I would just suggest the you remove the T3200M from the system and plug your aftermarket router where you have the T3200M currently. No need for Bridge Mode if the T3200M is not inline at all.

the one thing taht I would make sure of is that your MoCa adapters are 2.5 MoCa compatible as this is the newest standard and will support faster speeds between devices...

What confuses me is just where the fiber is being converted to either Coax or Ethernet from the fibre signal.

Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

hughboi
Neighbour

FYI: When I turn on port bridging and connect my router should I be able to see it in the "Home Network" view on T3200M of connected devices? It seems like a connection between the two devices is not being established.

@hughboi Wrote: When I turn on port bridging and connect my router should I be able to see it in the "Home Network" view on T3200M of connected devices?

In most cases if you have "Bridged Mode" turned on your T3200M you'll not be able to get to the routers web interface. The only way to correct this is to reset the T3200M back to factor/basic mode to get t the interface.

The other part of your question above raises a few questions for me. I hope I understand this correctly. You have Telus fibre coming into the residence to some device that outputs a Ethernet type signal. That Ethernet signal is be feed to a MoCa adapter and sent via coax to another location in the residence. That coax signal is being reconverted to Ethernet and feed to the T3200M router at that location, If the is a correct assumption on my part, I would just suggest the you remove the T3200M from the system and plug your aftermarket router where you have the T3200M currently. No need for Bridge Mode if the T3200M is not inline at all.

the one thing taht I would make sure of is that your MoCa adapters are 2.5 MoCa compatible as this is the newest standard and will support faster speeds between devices...

What confuses me is just where the fiber is being converted to either Coax or Ethernet from the fibre signal.

Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Thanks so much for replying.

Your understanding is correct. Just to clarify the Telus Fibre coming into the house goes through the ONT (Optical to Ethernet box that Telus installed by electrical panel); this connects to the T3200M modem through MoCA as discussed (I believe the only reason for this was so that we could move the telus modem/router upstairs and utilize existing coaxial cable in the house).

When I did some research online earlier, I came to the same conclusion as your recommendation of removing the T3200M, I just had no idea I could do this as I thought that modem from Telus was a necessary part of the interpretation of internet traffic into the house. I tried setting up the router directly where the Modem was on its own earlier but had some issues getting the WiFi part of it working. Will have to look into that more. Is there anything special I need to change on my personal router's settings if I'm going to replace the Telus T3200M modem/router?

Thanks.

@hughboi I just had no idea I could do this as I thought that modem from Telus was a necessary part of the interpretation of internet traffic into the house. 

No specific setting are required to utilize a aftermarket router in this case.

For the last 2 1/2 years I've had my fibre connected directly into my Ubiquiti Unifi USG-XG-8 router having removed the T3200M router completely from the system. Not only has this worked very well, I as well seem to find reduced overhead and far better latency than when the T3200M was installed.

Cheers...

It sounded like you had to have a router that was configured properly for this and supported this type of setup: Solved: Re: ONT vs Modem - TELUS Neighbourhood. I have a DLINK DIR-867 that I would like to hook up here. Based on my first attempt something was going wrong with WiFi when I tried replacing it completely, but I'll investigate more tomorrow and report back.