cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Speed drastically slow

Dineyar
Just Moved In

I have fiber connection (940/940 up/down). My internet location was pointing to Lower mainland. 2 weeks back, i noticed my location was changed to Prince George and my internet speed reduced significantly. For past 3 days I am in discussion with various tech support persons and if they are not able to understand and resolve, they either disconnect or send me to back into the queue. In the last 3 days I have spent over 4-5 hours talking with no improvements, in fact the speed went worse. Now it is hovering between 150-250 down and 800+ up. During this process the Telus Hub (Gateway) was twice reset and 4 times rebooted.

My setup is Telus Hub(Gateway) connected via ethernet port using cat5e cable to my laptop using usb (ethernet - usb). Only 1 device is connected to the hub via ethernet. The Telus technical support gives me the most BS answer - "the download speed is low because I am using a usb - ethernet cable." The support person mentioned that Telus would charge $150 for technician to visit your house. Recently laptops do not come with ethernet ports and only 1/2 USB. So I have to use a ethernet -usb jack to connect to the ethernet port on the Hub (gateway)

How can I reach a Level 2 or Level 3 support? Any help or suggestion?

Dineyar

7 REPLIES 7

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello. I'll send you a private message to discuss, thanks.

Dineyar1
Friendly Neighbour

Hi,

This issue has been lingering for now over  3 weeks. Also new issues have come up now. I am situated in Coquitlam (Lower Mainland) but my ip location is Kelowna. Telus reset my gateway/hub and now I have lost access to the gateway.

I am very disappointed with your escalation manager who does not seem to understand the issue. Could we have a knowledgeable tech support person in Canada resolve my issues.

Dineyar1
Friendly Neighbour

I do not use VPN or any software.

Dineyar1_0-1697229317766.png

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Ignore the IP location that the online sites are showing. Geolocation databases are often horribly out of date, especially the sites using the free databases. They are often many months out of date. Having an IP that used to be associated with a different location should have no affect on your speed or services. The other thing is that Telus has no way to force those sites using out of date databases as they're all controlled by third parties. Sites that pay for their database access get updated faster than those relying on the free geoIP databases.

The website you used has an out of date database. Others are showing that IP address associated with Coquitlam.  If you go to https://www.iplocation.net/ip-lookup and put your IP in, it brings up a list of the various databases out there. Some say Kelowna, and some say Coquitlam. When I look up your IP in the ARIN database, it's coming up as from PoCo.

Last time my IP changed, the GeoIP databases were showing that my IP was coming up as Halifax when I was in Alberta. My speed and other services were unaffected. It took months before the vast majority of the databases updated.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Dineyar1
Friendly Neighbour

Nighthawk,

Thanks for sharing the site location. 

My speed is also significantly improved. 

xray
Hero

@Dineyar wrote:

During this process the Telus Hub (Gateway) was twice reset and 4 times rebooted.

The Hub should not spontaneously reboot. This sounds like a hardware problem. To eliminate an issue like a short in the Ethernet cable have you tried a different one? A bad cable can cause a lot of errors that drastically reduce the data speed. If changing the Ethernet cable doesn't make any difference then ask Telus to replace the box and the power supply.

Dineyar1
Friendly Neighbour

Xray,

I do not think there is any issue with cable. Does anyone know what is the default password to access the gateway/hub. I would like to change some settings on the gateway.