cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiring About Possible Solution for TELUS PureFibre Installation Issues

Shawnama
Friendly Neighbour

I recently experienced a cancellation of my TELUS PureFibre installation due to the absence of a fibre connection from the outdoor telecommunication service box to my home's hub room. Currently, I only have CAT6 and COAX cables running from the service box to the hub room.

I've been considering a potential solution and would appreciate your thoughts on it. I'm contemplating the purchase of a UFiber Active Ethernet device - a fibre to Ethernet converter powered by Power Over Ethernet (POE). I believe that the POE adaptor could be installed in my hub room, while the UFiber device could be situated in the service box.

Also, I'm curious to know whether the installation technician might be equipped with an SFP module.

I would greatly value your opinions and advice on this matter. Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Shawn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Shawnama
Friendly Neighbour

cc: @DrPacman 

I am writing this post for those who are going through the same problem as me and struggling. 

The solution I originally posted (shown below in the graphic) worked well, but I had to convince my installation technician to give a try SFP module into UFiber ActiveEthernet. I prepared everything (UFiber, PoE adopter, cables) before the technician came. Once he showed up I explained what my problem currently having, then asked him to bring SFP module to insert to UFiber. Activating SFP module took almost 30 minutes, I had to restart the UFiber multiple times, and the ethernet cable had to be connected to a device (in my case, it was connected with a MacBook with USB-c ethernet adopter) in the my media room. Finally the SFP module got activated and fed internet to my device, then I connected it into my router.

Finally I have Gigabit internet through TELUS Pure Fibre!

Shawnama_0-1687463415268.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Shawnama
Friendly Neighbour

Wondering @DrPacman could leave a reply on my question.. I saw your post regarding using SFP module into your Ubiquiti devices in the forum

@Shawnama 

Wondering @DrPacman could leave a reply on my question.. I saw your post regarding using SFP module into your Ubiquiti devices in the forum.

It would be unlikely that a TELUS  would install a SFP module out in a service  box on a roadway. The module is designed to install inside one of the TELUS NAH "Network Access Hubs" and not designed to pass the serial number of that device back through a media converter.

I believe that your only solution maybe to have TELUS pull fibre to a point within your dwelling that could the be utilized.

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Shawnama
Friendly Neighbour

@DrPacman 

I think I explained a bit wrong. I have attached a diagram how I am trying to solve my problem.

The fibre is in my service box, but it is not able to bring to my hub room, because there is no fibre cable when the house was built. However, there is CAT6 Cable and COAX...

Shawnama_1-1686032718731.png

@Shawnama Wrote: The fibre is in my service box, but it is not able to bring to my hub room, because there is no fibre cable when the house was built. 

My understanding is that TELUS will connect fibre at your Service Box, and pull it to a location in your as referenced "Hub Room" allowing for the installation of the Network Access Hub.

This service would be defined as part of the TELUS obligation to connect you for service, and therefore not a chargeable item to the customer.

Part of the installation would include  both a NAH and the SFP module required to the system to work. You would have the opportunity to experiment with the SFP at that time I'm sure... However know that this would be considered a non supported installation.

I  would contact TELUS presales and see what they may say in regards to the installation, and if there maybe  any charges to make all the connections to facilitate service.

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Shawnama
Friendly Neighbour

I see, sadly the technician came to my property, he said he can't install fibre into my media panel (hub room), suggested alternative way, like run fibre around garage and install wifi there, none of them was acceptable. then he asked me to cancel the installation appointment and I cancelled via text. 

He said pulling the fibre cable into my hub room should be done by a low voltage technician.. and I have zero idea who can do this.

Anyways thanks for your help. I will try to contact TELUS presales regarding this.

Thank you!

I think a Low Voltage Apps Technician is just a person who builds LANs WANs etc using (low voltage including fiber optic cables) CAT6, Fiber etc But I'm only going by google 🙂

halwai2211
Just Moved In

I've been considering a potential solution and would appreciate your thoughts on it. I'm contemplating the purchase of a UFiber Active Ethernet device - a fibre to Ethernet converter powered by Power Over Ethernet (POE). I believe that the POE adaptor could be installed in my hub room, while the UFiber device could be situated in the service box.

@halwai2211  Wrote: 'm contemplating the purchase of a UFiber Active Ethernet device.

I have no idea if this maybe a solution for you. However, and this is the 64 dollar question. Would TELUS be willing to play along with an install like this.

I believe that technically you could extend the fibre signal via the CAT 6 to an endpoint. However you would be required to have a RJ45 capable router/firewall at that endpoint to utilize the feed, as well a POE injector to light the UFiber Active Ethernet device.

As this would remove all the TELUS equipment from the system, I'm sure that no support what soever would  be contemplated by TELUS ever.

Again getting a low voltage contractor ( Network, Fibre, Alarm Tech/Installer) to pull fibre from the outside box to within your dwelling is the best solution, in my opinion. Cheers...

Shawnama
Friendly Neighbour

cc: @DrPacman 

I am writing this post for those who are going through the same problem as me and struggling. 

The solution I originally posted (shown below in the graphic) worked well, but I had to convince my installation technician to give a try SFP module into UFiber ActiveEthernet. I prepared everything (UFiber, PoE adopter, cables) before the technician came. Once he showed up I explained what my problem currently having, then asked him to bring SFP module to insert to UFiber. Activating SFP module took almost 30 minutes, I had to restart the UFiber multiple times, and the ethernet cable had to be connected to a device (in my case, it was connected with a MacBook with USB-c ethernet adopter) in the my media room. Finally the SFP module got activated and fed internet to my device, then I connected it into my router.

Finally I have Gigabit internet through TELUS Pure Fibre!

Shawnama_0-1687463415268.png

@Shawnama Colour me increadibley surprised, in a very good way...

You managed to find the Unicorn of installers...  Convincing a tech to step outside the boundeies of the norm is very rare.. However, I've seen it more, and more all the time that TELUS  will try to go beyond the bounds to assist, despite the negative comments we all see online.

Hope you keep us all updated as to the stibility and preformance of your install. I know for one I'm going to be very interested in the longterm results... Cheers...