cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve download speed in basement

waierica
Organizer

My router is located in the upper level of my house, the download speed in my basement is terribly slow that only 22mbps while the upper level is 175+. What is the option to enhance the download speed in basement?

8 REPLIES 8

Spinner
Helpful Neighbour

You can try buying a mesh router set up like Eero 6 Plus. A more complicated option is buying a pair of Power over Ethernet adapters and adding an access point in the basement.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I replied to a similar post here:

Re: Eero mesh or another solution - TELUS Neighbourhood

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

waierica
Organizer

Unfortunately, having ethernet connection between the router on the upper floor and the basement is not possible. I tried with D-Link extender but only gave me 22mbps download speed. I already had fiber-optic-to-home installed by Telus and the master box (don't know how to call it) was set up in the basement. The router was plugged to the outlet on the upper floor for my work activities. Having wifi connection in the basement is an extra for my karaoke system when downloading songs. I am thinking there should be something Telus can do to resolve this problem based on my current settings with them.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

As mentioned I would look at powerline. It's not going to give you blazing speeds but should give you an adequate connection. Note that speeds will be at best 1/4 of the AV number. So AV1000 at best will be 200-250Mps. Something like this would give you an ethernet connection and a wireless access point:

TP-Link Powerline WiFi Extender (TL-WPA7517KIT) - AV1000 Powerline Ethernet Adapter with Dual Band W...

Non-powerline wifi extenders are basically repeaters that pickup the wifi signal and rebroadcast. More here:

Wi-Fi extenders vs powerline adapters: Everything you need to know | Tom's Guide (tomsguide.com)

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

when I was on copper coax we had a tech first run a 50ft ethernet cable to a wifi booster from top third floor, down past the middle floor u walk in from the street, and halfway down (1 of 2) flights of stairs to basement. BOOM he put a wifi extender. Plugged ethernet into it. Then ran another 50 footer from that, to my pc. All tight to trim around the house..,,. But if you want you can take a spool to your attic, or a longggg ethernet cable with ends pre attached , drop the 1 end wherre your modem is upstairs down the wall cavity, punch hole in wall and plugin to modem (or proper way is to attach to a ethernet wall box, and then a little cable from said box to modem, but then walk across attic, drop down wall cavity to where you need the other end to be downstairs, punch another hole- boom easy. There is already existing holes in your wall plates where wires run through all over, can just use that to fish down with its really simple and makes the run of ethernet cable way shorter than how we had it to start above

Forgot to add* Tech will do this free if your speeds are hindering that bad and you arent getting what your paying for. Everything above was done at our house over the yrs free. extender free etc. 

It does seem like a hardwired connection in this case might be the way to go.

waierica
Organizer

I tried downloading songs from my karaoke machine located in the basement one day, without accessing the internet from any devices at home and the download speed was fast enough. I have Internet 75 and it works well with multiple devices accessing the internet at the same time if the activities are not in the basement. Is this a bandwidth issue Telus can fix for me?