cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add multiple static IP addresses?

jamesnb
Neighbour

Hi everyone,

We have a small office and purchase 5 static IP address from Telus business.

The issue is that, we cannot add these 5 static IP addresses to our Router (happened to be Edge Router) as Telus does not support this way.

Tech support from Telus told us that, we should put a Switch after Telus modem and before our Router...

Is there anyone who has done this before?

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

By way of example, residential accounts are provisioned with 2 IP addresses. Individuals wanting separated networks can place a switch between the ONT and their routers (plural) to have two networks. I do not know if it would work for a single router connecting to your your ONT though a switch, seeking multiple IP addresses.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

No, it would not work with 1 single router, as a matter of fact. Telus needs separated MAC address for each of the static IP address that it gives out by DHCP locked-in. By this way, if I need 5 IP address, I would need 5 different routers.... I just wonder if a big company that need 100 IPs, do they need to have 100 routers and at least 3 big switches (48 ports each) to connect to 100 routers??? And you scale it up... how about 1,000 IPs?

Very strange practices I think