cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add multiple static IP addresses?

jamesnb
Neighbour

Hi everyone,

We have a small office and purchase 5 static IP address from Telus business.

The issue is that, we cannot add these 5 static IP addresses to our Router (happened to be Edge Router) as Telus does not support this way.

Tech support from Telus told us that, we should put a Switch after Telus modem and before our Router...

Is there anyone who has done this before?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

By way of example, residential accounts are provisioned with 2 IP addresses. Individuals wanting separated networks can place a switch between the ONT and their routers (plural) to have two networks. I do not know if it would work for a single router connecting to your your ONT though a switch, seeking multiple IP addresses.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

By way of example, residential accounts are provisioned with 2 IP addresses. Individuals wanting separated networks can place a switch between the ONT and their routers (plural) to have two networks. I do not know if it would work for a single router connecting to your your ONT though a switch, seeking multiple IP addresses.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

No, it would not work with 1 single router, as a matter of fact. Telus needs separated MAC address for each of the static IP address that it gives out by DHCP locked-in. By this way, if I need 5 IP address, I would need 5 different routers.... I just wonder if a big company that need 100 IPs, do they need to have 100 routers and at least 3 big switches (48 ports each) to connect to 100 routers??? And you scale it up... how about 1,000 IPs?

Very strange practices I think

gfang
Organizer

Telus insists on static IP locked to Mac address is definitely a big problem for business use of static IP addresses. It basically forces one static IP address to one port on either SonicWall device or edgerouter device. Furthermore, because the subnet mask is 22 or 23, the subnet addresses overlap each other. When two such static IP addresses overlap, they cannot be used by SonicWall or edgerouter. One simple solution without much effort is to give out static IP addresses with subnet mask 30. But again Telus seems to have difficulty doing even that.