cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I configure home network with switches and nests.

minchadw
Friendly Neighbour

I have an unmanaged switch (d-link DGS-1016c) in a data closet supporting wired connections throughout my house. Since installing the switch, my Optik TV ceases to work (drops network connect in about 20s). 

Some history, previous to installation of switch, we had a simple site with Telus router T3200M connected to TV box UIW8001 which worked:

ONT -> T3200M -> Optik TV box  

Now jump to new house with wired CAT5 cables to numerous rooms.

First setup, unmanaged switch downstream of T3200M.

ONT -> T3200M -> DGS-1016c -> PC

-> Optik TV Box

The D-Link switch does not work configured like this, not networks active.

Question: Does the T3200M need to be configured in bridge mode here?

Second setup

ONT -> DGS-1016c -> PC

-> T3200M -> PC

-> Optik TV Box

In this configuration wifi network works but Optik TV Box gives a "no network" message after about 20s. I read somewhere, I needed to reset the T3200M to bridge mode. I have done this but still no success on the Optik TV front, it still drops network connectivity. 

I'm now confused how to setup my home network. I obviously need wifi connection. I'm testing eero mesh nodes, which should be connected before the switch.

Third setup:

ONT -> eero6 base -> DGS-1016c -> PC

-> eero6 extender

-> T3200M -> Optik TV Box

Optik TV still not operating, drops network in 20s (T3200M in wifi and bridge mode)

So I'm confused, one why Optik TV refuses to work downstream of a switch, and if this is correct setup for mesh nodes...we had the same network connection name and the T3200M, so dont know if thats a problem or not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your previous setup of ONT > T3200 > Optik Box is no longer possible at your new place? The T3200 has multiple LAN ports on it so if there's a dedicated ethernet run to where the Optik box is, plug that directly to the T3200. You can have the Eero and your switch plugged into another of the LAN ports on the T3200. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

This doesn't have anything to do with bridge mode on the T3200. Putting it in bridge mode will not solve this issue. This would be an issue with your networking hardware.

A regular home gigabit switch should have zero issues with being between the T3200 and the Optik set top box. I have one behind my PVR and it works fine. The DGS-1016c that you have isn't a regular home switch. It's a business one. I wonder if the QoS on it is somehow interfering. Do you have another gigabit switch to test with? If not, is there any way to hardwire the set top box directly to the T3200?

Eero won't pass multicast traffic by default and thus the set top box loses signal. I would not put that between the T3200 and the Optik box.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

minchadw
Friendly Neighbour

Scenario 1 has the switch between the T3200 and the Optik box. However the problem there is the switch does not like having a router in front of it, and I get not network traffic, irrespective of Optik box. Somewhere I read switch has to be in front, however in comments on this site, seems lots have them "downstream".

Scenario 2 has the switch first followed by T3200 then Optik box. Network ports work on switch by Optik box drops. I'll see what info I can get regarding the switch.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your previous setup of ONT > T3200 > Optik Box is no longer possible at your new place? The T3200 has multiple LAN ports on it so if there's a dedicated ethernet run to where the Optik box is, plug that directly to the T3200. You can have the Eero and your switch plugged into another of the LAN ports on the T3200. 

minchadw
Friendly Neighbour

I could go back to this setup, but my initial testing was that the switch does not work connected to the T3200. As this failed, I didnt try connecting the Eero to the T3200 either.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The switch could be malfunctioning also. It doesn't seem to be behaving normally.

minchadw
Friendly Neighbour

Interesting re eero. My current setup has it before the switch which its documentation suggests, but you think this is a problem re my Optik box...h'mmm