cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding Technicolour NH20T

jbalaski
Just Moved In

I've been trying to open a port to run a server from my computer. From what I understand, it's as simple as going into "WAN Services", clicking show advanced, and adding the port. Unfortunately, the server isn't joinable and https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ shows the port as closed. Reading the forums a bit and most/all of the issues that have been passed around don't apply here, as far as I can see.

Any help would be helpful :]

17 REPLIES 17

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nothing that I can find as a definitive answer on my end here. You can always check in with our Tech Support team to see if they can try to assist!

PortForwardPls
Neighbour

Hey I'm having the exact same issue, same model technicolor NH20T. Have you had any luck fixing it? I've tried forwarding ports 2456 2457 2458 and 25565 for various game servers. None of the ports ever show as open on any testing service I try, and none of my servers show up.

I've factory reset the unit 3-5 times now, making sure to immediately set the port forward rules as suggested by others. No dice. It's as if the rules entered in the GUI simply don't apply.

PortForwardPls
Neighbour

Telus Fibre 1.5g

Technicolor NH20T Version Egyptian Blue (20.3.i)

Software Version 20.3.i.0485.15

Firmware Version 20.3.i.0485-4629009-20231124070733.15

Bootloader Version 20.40.1375-0000000-20200928115941-752ce4e29b33fdfa861d39bfeccbf62f41189338

Network: Game Server 192.168.1.182 -> dumb 4 port switch -> 10g port on NH20T 192.168.1.254

I've spent the past two days trying to get any kind of port forwarding working on my Telus Technicolor NH20T router / NAH. I'm trying to host a few game servers to play with friends, and these required 2456 2457 2458 and 25565 to be port forwarded in the NAH admin interface on 192.168.1.254. These are standard game ports and anyone should be able to forward them on a residential connection. I'm familiar with port forwarding and had each of these connections working with the exact same server config on my old ISP a few months back. Since moving and upgrading to telus fibre I've been unable to get any port forwarding working on the new Technicolor NH20T. I've seen many others reporting the same issues and I'm hoping to get a good resolution for all those facing the same problem.

Here's my config for port forwarding in the NH20t admin interface, with the source IP being my public IP ('what is my IP' from google, just to confirm) and the destination IP being the computer running the game server(s) on 192.168.1.182:

PortForwardPls_0-1712899742127.png

With the game servers running I am able to connect and use both of them just fine locally inside my network on any machine. But noone outside my network is able to connect or see these ports open, either in the games built in server browser or when trying to join directly by my publicip:port. I've tried various 'port checking' sites and none of them show any of the ports open at any point in testing. To test myself from an outside network I've hooked my laptop up to my mobile phone's hotspot data connection, then tried searching for the game servers by publicip:port and never had any luck.

I saw others report they were having the exact same issues with NH20a units (mine is NH20t), and saw port forwarding suddenly start working after factory resetting their units multiple times. Some said to make sure and use the pinhole reset on the unit instead of just the GUI factory reset button. I've tried all variations of these, and ended up factory resetting and rebooting my unit 6+ times now with no change in behaviour in any way I tested. To me it feels as if the port forwarding options applied in the GUI lead nowhere and the settings never apply.

Has anyone else been able to find a solution for this? Anyone facing similar issues? I've seen plenty of others report similar problems but haven't found any solution other than hoping it starts to work after enough resets and reboots. Here are some quick examples of others having similar problems, with some claiming it's a known issue for these models:

https://www.reddit.com/r/telus/comments/14snzq5/nah_port_forwarding_nightmare/

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/Port-Forwarding-on-an-NH20/m-p/132480

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/Telus-WiFi-Hub-Port-Forwarding-not-working/m-p/135581

I've got a friend in my local area also on a Telus Fibre connection but using the older Actiontek T3200M. He reports no issues with forwarding the exact list of ports I've tried ( 2456 2457 2458 25565 ) and it's frustrating not being able to do the same on the newer NAH even after disabling / reducing all firewall rules. ANY input or thoughts you have on this would be appreciated.

kabug
Friendly Neighbour
Hi I've been trying to port forward a game server on a new desktop I have but even though it's locally accessible at that port, people externally aren't able to connect. The weird thing is if I move the game server to another desktop I have, and change the destination IP in the firewall rules it works. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the cause?

Anonymous
Not applicable

A router such as asus for example  would have the port forwarding feature setting to enable the port enabled for your game on your gaming console or your game on your pc desktop.

Do you have your server set up to get a reserved IP from DHCP in the router?

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes you would have to  either use dhcp reserved ip address setting  or use dhcp relay agent layer 2 or 3 setting on your server tower or rack mount from the windows server operating system or router to tal between the server and client pc or desktop.

kabug
Friendly Neighbour

I have not set up the dhcp settings on the router, I just assigned the static ip on the pc itself. I'll try that 🙂

If you don't reserve the IP in the DHCP server then it doesn't know it's taken and may assign it to another device.

kabug
Friendly Neighbour

I've assigned it in the dhcp settings and double checked the firewall to see if that's blocking it but it all looks fine. It's still not working though on that desktop 😕

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you show the windows firewall from your desktop and dhcp  settings in your router?

kabug
Friendly Neighbour

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

I've uploaded the dhcp settings above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

consider looking into a router such as Asus , Tp-Link and other brand of routers would have the port forwarding feature that enables the gaming ports, TCP/UDP ports , the reserved dhcp ip address... automatically

Anonymous
Not applicable

some router brands have a lan port , gaming port.

Hey I've been having similar troubles, did you ever find a fix for this? Here's my post:

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/Technicolor-NH20T-Port-Forwarding-Issues/td-p/148966

PortForwardPls
Neighbour

Telus Fibre 1.5g

Technicolor NH20T Version Egyptian Blue (20.3.i)

Software Version 20.3.i.0485.15

Firmware Version 20.3.i.0485-4629009-20231124070733.15

Bootloader Version 20.40.1375-0000000-20200928115941-752ce4e29b33fdfa861d39bfeccbf62f41189338

Network: Game Server 192.168.1.182 -> dumb 4 port switch -> 10g port on NH20T 192.168.1.254

I've spent the past two days trying to get any kind of port forwarding working on my Telus Technicolor NH20T router / NAH. I'm trying to host a few game servers to play with friends, and these required 2456 2457 2458 and 25565 to be port forwarded in the NAH admin interface on 192.168.1.254. These are standard game ports and anyone should be able to forward them on a residential connection. I'm familiar with port forwarding and had each of these connections working with the exact same server config on my old ISP a few months back. Since moving and upgrading to telus fibre I've been unable to get any port forwarding working on the new Technicolor NH20T. I've seen many others reporting the same issues and I'm hoping to get a good resolution for all those facing the same problem.

Here's my config for port forwarding in the NH20t admin interface, with the source IP being my public IP ('what is my IP' from google, just to confirm) and the destination IP being the computer running the game server(s) on 192.168.1.182:

PortForwardPls_0-1712950887627.png

With the game servers running I am able to connect and use both of them just fine locally inside my network on any machine. But noone outside my network is able to connect or see these ports open, either in the games built in server browser or when trying to join directly by my publicip:port. I've tried various 'port checking' sites and none of them show any of the ports open at any point in testing. To test myself from an outside network I've hooked my laptop up to my mobile phone's hotspot data connection, then tried searching for the game servers by publicip:port and never had any luck.

I saw others report they were having the exact same issues with NH20a units (mine is NH20t), and saw port forwarding suddenly start working after factory resetting their units multiple times. Some said to make sure and use the pinhole reset on the unit instead of just the GUI factory reset button. I've tried all variations of these, and ended up factory resetting and rebooting my unit 6+ times now with no change in behaviour in any way I tested. To me it feels as if the port forwarding options applied in the GUI lead nowhere and the settings never apply.

Has anyone else been able to find a solution for this? Anyone facing similar issues? I've seen plenty of others report similar problems but haven't found any solution other than hoping it starts to work after enough resets and reboots. Here are some quick examples of others having similar problems, with some claiming it's a known issue for these models:

https://www.reddit.com/r/telus/comments/14snzq5/nah_port_forwarding_nightmare/

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/Port-Forwarding-on-an-NH20/m-p/132480

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/Telus-WiFi-Hub-Port-Forwarding-not-working/m-p/135581

I've got a friend in my local area also on a Telus Fibre connection but using the older Actiontek T3200M. He reports no issues with forwarding the exact list of ports I've tried ( 2456 2457 2458 25565 ) and it's frustrating not being able to do the same on the newer NAH even after disabling / reducing all firewall rules. ANY input or thoughts you have on this would be appreciated.