cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber Modem connection to Network Switch

SmilinVamp
Neighbour

Hi,

I just got Telus Fiber in my home.  I have connected one of the LAN ports to our home Network Ethernet Switch and I am getting "can't assign IP address" errors on some home computers. 

Does anyone know if the Fibre modem limits the number of IP that it serves out?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That Alcatel-Lucent box is an ONT. The ONT is NOT a router or switch. All it does is convert fibre to copper and only ONE port on it will be active. You should be connecting your devices to the router that Telus would have provided and not the ONT itself. Which router did Telus provide to you?

The NAH/FXA5000T3200MWifi Hub
f62ee6e3-ab5b-44de-b1a5-6ff55725c36e.pngc2aef3ec-16af-430d-b66f-625cac82654e.pngwifihub (2).jpg

Additionally, anything connected to the ONT has a direct connection to the internet and residential accounts are limited to a max of 2 external IP addresses. That's most likely why you aren't getting an IP assigned when you connect another device to the ONT. You also won't get a connection on any ethernet jack besides #1 on the ONT which is where the router should be connected.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Is there a make or model on the device you are calling a "fibre modem"?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Oh, yes... it's the Acatel-Lucent one - I don't see a model on it. I'll attach the pics.

PXL_20240809_224934665.jpgPXL_20240809_224957801.jpg

You may need to speak with our Tech Support team directly regarding this. If you've confirmed that your network settings are good to go, and that the LAN is enabled, etc. then there may be some other issue that our team should be able to diagnose.

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That Alcatel-Lucent box is an ONT. The ONT is NOT a router or switch. All it does is convert fibre to copper and only ONE port on it will be active. You should be connecting your devices to the router that Telus would have provided and not the ONT itself. Which router did Telus provide to you?

The NAH/FXA5000T3200MWifi Hub
f62ee6e3-ab5b-44de-b1a5-6ff55725c36e.pngc2aef3ec-16af-430d-b66f-625cac82654e.pngwifihub (2).jpg

Additionally, anything connected to the ONT has a direct connection to the internet and residential accounts are limited to a max of 2 external IP addresses. That's most likely why you aren't getting an IP assigned when you connect another device to the ONT. You also won't get a connection on any ethernet jack besides #1 on the ONT which is where the router should be connected.

Thank you Nighthawk! You have confirmed my suspicions.  I thought that was the case. 

In our case having the Telus router in the basement isn't the best idea... with it on the main floor, the wifi can reach the basement and the upper floor.  If I move it, we get no WIFI in the upper floor.

I'll either need to get TELUS over to move stuff around and install a booster or else we will need to put a router between the ONT and the switch... 

At any rate, you have given me the answers I needed and I am grateful.

Thanks!

The thing is... the computer is talking to the network.  I see the activity lights on the switch blinking and on the computer... just no IP address assigned.  I have Two other Computers connected to the switch and they are working.  It's just this third one that is not.  

I plan to disconnect one or both of the computers with this third plugged in to see what happens.  I have to diagnose whether this is just an issue with the computer or is it the network... I'll try some things out later.

you should get an ethernet cable coming down from the main floor to the basement, and then use a switch for the basement computers

unless you know what you are doing, you should NEVER plug a PC directly into the ONT or a switch coming off of it this leaves you open to more vulnerabilities