cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add "Call Forwarding, No Answer" to my account?

sgbotsford
Friendly Neighbour

This calling feature is described, but when I go to manage my calling features it's not available to add.  

I currently have Home Phone + 6 Calling feature bundle, but only have 4 selected.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The old Call Forward No Answer feature for home landlines was only designed to forward to one specific number only and that number would have had to be been set by Telus when the feature was first added. It is typically the voicemail access number.

Call Forward Fixed/Variable would have forwarded to a single number of your choosing but it would not ring the home phone first, nor would it try ringing a second alternate number.

For a follow me type feature, I'm not sure if there was ever a solution for a residential landline. I suspect for the business side of things there may have been but I'm not familiar with the current business solutions.

The big thing to keep in mind is that copper based phone service is being phased out. I can't see landline providers in general paying to add new functionality to the old analog copper systems. The new fibre based phone service is more akin to VoIP so it's possible there may be new functionality added in the future as more lines / areas are migrated over.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Is this for a landline, or are you using a cellular hub for home phone? See this article for setup instructions.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

sgbotsford
Friendly Neighbour
Landline.

Too bad if not available. Landline companies could slow the decline of subscribers by implementing some of the features available on voip systems.

What I really want is a Follow Me.

Ring the main line 3 times. If no answer try my cell. In no answer try my wife’s cell. If no answer go to landline voice mail.

--
Respectfully,

Sherwood of Sherwood's Forests

Sherwood Botsford
Sherwood's Forests -- https://Sherwoods-Forests.com
How to get here: https://sherwoods-forests.com/About_Us/Getting_Here.html
O: 780-848-2548 C:780-863-7311
50042 Range Rd 31
Warburg, Alberta T0C 2T0

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The old Call Forward No Answer feature for home landlines was only designed to forward to one specific number only and that number would have had to be been set by Telus when the feature was first added. It is typically the voicemail access number.

Call Forward Fixed/Variable would have forwarded to a single number of your choosing but it would not ring the home phone first, nor would it try ringing a second alternate number.

For a follow me type feature, I'm not sure if there was ever a solution for a residential landline. I suspect for the business side of things there may have been but I'm not familiar with the current business solutions.

The big thing to keep in mind is that copper based phone service is being phased out. I can't see landline providers in general paying to add new functionality to the old analog copper systems. The new fibre based phone service is more akin to VoIP so it's possible there may be new functionality added in the future as more lines / areas are migrated over.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I live in a rural area. I had to but up a 70 foot tower to get wireless LAN.

There are 9 houses on the 12 km road to my exchange. Somehow I don’t think fibre will be in our area anytime soon.

The intelligence is at the exchange. It really shouldnt matter if the signal to the household goes by copper or fibre, except for line noise and data rates.

In a nut shell you convert the digital aignal to an analog one *somewhere*. That can be at an end user device or what amounts to a modem bank at the exchange.

However you are likely correct: the telcos are trying to extract max profit with minimum effort from a dying system. Fibre runs about 15-25 k$ per km. Can’t see them spending 300K for a handful of customers.

But it means that I’m starting to look at Voip solutions.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Landline companies could slow the decline of subscribers by implementing some of the features available on voip systems.”
Yes, but the telcos have been restricted in what they can offer to allow VoIP providers to build a customer base. If a VoIP solution meets your needs, then make the switch, however, I doubt many callers will wait on the line through 9 to 12 ring cycles to arrive at your voicemail. Maybe an answering service would be a better choice.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

sgbotsford
Friendly Neighbour
That why the synchronous ringing is a better bet for me. It rings at the office and both cell phones at the same time. If no answer it goes to voice mail. If one line is busy, it rings at the other two.

Do you know that telco's are prevented from implementing this sort of service due to regulation?

Regards

Sherwood