cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homekit issues migrating my own router?

Markakett
Friendly Neighbour

Hi,

I've browsed through the forum but I haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for. I'm thinking of adding a better router to our home for increased wifi coverage. The T3200M is at one end of the house and we can't move it. I tried the Boosters Telus sent us a few years ago but I need one or two more and they don't seem to be available. Anyway my question is, if I add an upgraded router alongside the T3200M what do I need to do to move my HomeKit network over? We don't have Optik Tv or any other Telus offerings. The HomeKit network consists of an AppleTV4K, Apple TVHD (currently disabled in HK) HomePod mini, a Phillips Hue hub, a couple of Meross smart plugs and switches and a couple of Eve devices using Thread. From what I've read so far I'll need to make sure all Apple devices (hubs,iphones etc) are on the new network and signed to the same Apple ID. I may need to remove and re-add the wifi plugs and switches. If this is true how do I stop them from joining the old network? 

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

5 REPLIES 5

rc
Rockstar

Do your boosters use the same SSID as the t3200? 

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Unless you've change your configuration that should be the case.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Markakett
Friendly Neighbour

No they do not. 

rc
Rockstar

If you want to stop the devices from joining the old WIFI network then you have these options:

-turn of WIFI on the old devices,

-Change the SSID that the old devices advertise

-Change the security password for connecting to WIFI

-block the MAC address from connecting to WIFI

Without having a detailed understanding of your network configuration, the simplest way to move your devices to a new WIFI network, would be turn of WIFI on the T3200,  power off the Boost devices, install a new Mesh WIFI solution using the old networks SSID and passwords.

Markakett
Friendly Neighbour

To clarify the boosters were not in use. I tried them when Telus first shipped them and they seemed to make no difference. After reading your responses I tried them again. I had to factory reset them but once they were up and running the coverage has definetely improved. I don't recall been asked to use the current SSID and password when I set them up last time. Maybe I missed that or it was added later.  Overall I see an improvement using iPads and the ATV at the far end of the house. It has not changed my Homekit issues but that's not urgent as I'm always adding and changing devices. I think if I can track down another booster or two it will really help. Too bad Telus discontinued them. 

Thanks for the help.