cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigabit internet - only limited to 100mbps connection from modem to gigabit router

enceladus
Neighbour

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to gigabit internet. I bought a gigabit router and connected my Wifi hub to it. However, I am only getting a 100mbps connection over WAN. I have confirmed that I have a gigabit LAN connection from my PC to the router, and that the cables used are Cat 5e. The router settings page also shows only a 100mbps speed over WAN. 

What is going on??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

enceladus
Neighbour

Fixed it guys. I confirmed my suspicions and hooked up Cat6 from my 3rd party router to the Wifi hub and i have close to gigabit speeds. I'm still confused as to why my Cat5e cable did not work, but that's a trivial issue now. Thanks everyone!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

xray
Hero

Are you running your own router in addtion to the Telus router or did you running it instead of the Telus router? You need to clarify your network layout.

Reading the post title again I see you have replaced the Telus router with your own.

Were you getting a Gigabit WAN connection using the Telus router?

Have you tried switching the Ethernet cable with the one you are using between the PC and the router? 

Hi x-ray,

My current setup is ONT > WIFI Hub > router > PC. I tried ONT > Wifi hub > PC but on my pc Ethernet settings it only shows 100mbps.

Also, I have another silly question. So I'm able to connect to the wifi hub directly with a wifi device. So is the wifi hub a router, modem, or both?

Okay, I was confused by the conflicting information in your title and the text of your post. Your last post clears it up.

The WiFi Hub is a wireless router and fiber optic modem so you are indeed connecting your router to another router. You don't need to use your own router unless you are trying to get better WiFi coverage in your house. That's a whole separate discussion as far as whether that's your best option for doing that.

As for the speed issue you can try swapping the Ethernet cable connecting your router and the WiFi Hub with the one you are using between you PC and your router. This will confirm whether there is a cable issue or not.

What model router do you have?

I will figure out how to do that swap.

I just reread my title and it was indeed misleading so I apologized for that

I just bought an Asus rt ax58u.

So, since the wifi hub is currently in my basement and CAN be used as a router, it is possible then to just move the wifi hub into my room for better coverage and to bypass the need for another router?

You can move the WiFi Hub anywhere you like as long as you can connect it by Ethernet to the ONT.

nvv6
Organizer

Replace your Ethernet cables. A bad cable will drop a 1gbps connection down to 100mbps. If it was some number other than 10 or 100 I’d think it was something else but I’m pretty sure using different cables will work. I’ve had lots of cables fail in the same way. 

enceladus
Neighbour

Fixed it guys. I confirmed my suspicions and hooked up Cat6 from my 3rd party router to the Wifi hub and i have close to gigabit speeds. I'm still confused as to why my Cat5e cable did not work, but that's a trivial issue now. Thanks everyone!