cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber Availability

Ducky7731
Friendly Neighbour
Has anyone had any issues with telus not being able to locate your address. I recently moved into a new house in a newer neighbourhood, fiber is available as telus has signs posted around the neighbourhood, and I've received flyers, I've also asked my neighbours who all have telus fiber, but for whatever reason my address comes up with fiber is not available in your area. When I've called telus about this they just tell me the same thing that fiber is not available and to try again in a few months, as my address comes up as service not available.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ducky7731
Friendly Neighbour
There is a telus pipe that's marked, it's on the side of my house as well, and its just capped on the end I don't no if that's what they use to run the fiber through. But I got a hold of billing and they are escalating the issue, and will call me back in 24-48 hours.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

polecat
All-Star

@Ducky7731  Are you new to house. See the neighbour and look at his tel service recognize fiber cable then check your for the same entrance wiring. Some people refused to let fiber to be installed. Thought they would get billed for it maybe. If you got the fiber to house it is possible that is not hooked up at a junction box. Then Was not recorded as being installed. The only route is the phone. 

Ducky7731
Friendly Neighbour
It's a new house built last year, I even received a pamphlet from our builder for telus when we bought the house but was under contract with Shaw at the time. When my contract expired I tried signing up with telus but they keep telling me it's not available. My neighbours on both sides of me have telus, and our homes were finished around the same time.

@Ducky7731  That explains a lot  Your only way is by phoning in. You can't use the sales reps  ask for a supervisor if you haven't.  You were under contract with shaw at the time correct and did not want to pay contract out correct. You might have to pay for a hook up. All providers like money. Polecat.

@Ducky7731  Is the fiber into your house ???????? The builder pays to have providers install their services. Pay for power  tel and cable

Ducky7731
Friendly Neighbour
I don't see any cables, there is a shaw and telus box on the side of the house and the telus box has nothing in it. I'll try calling them again, it would seem weird if they just skipped over the house while they did the entire neighbourhood as I never said to our builder or telus I didn't want fiber.

@Ducky7731  Is this ug or overhead, If overhead you can tell what wires are fiber Look at the house next door. You must had shaw transfered from where you used to live.

Ducky7731
Friendly Neighbour
Yea I transfered shaw from my old address, had no issues with them, and the fiber is ug

@Ducky7731  nothing in telus box then you have no telus landline this means you only have cell accounts. No account with land address. They can't find your place in their syatem. Your only way is to use the phone  If ug  and no fiber cable they might have to dig to install it if no conduit to box on street. Good luck on your prcblem. Post your result when done please. Phone in and ask for billing they should help or get you to the proper department. Polecat

Ducky7731
Friendly Neighbour
I'll give them a call again see if I can get something figured out, thanks for the help.

@Ducky7731  I hope for you there is pipe in the ground if not will have wait for  the  frost to go away.

Ducky7731
Friendly Neighbour
There is a telus pipe that's marked, it's on the side of my house as well, and its just capped on the end I don't no if that's what they use to run the fiber through. But I got a hold of billing and they are escalating the issue, and will call me back in 24-48 hours.

@Ducky7731  I hope the pipe goes all the way to service box. If you had signed up for a home phone there would be a fiber cable in it. No copper wires fiber is the new phone line. I had my phone line moved to fiber the old copper was so scratchy crystal clear now. Billing has always helped where the other operators could not. Polecat

Ducky7731
Friendly Neighbour
Problem has been solved, the issue was on telus's end, they verified that my house is setup for fiber already, but for what ever reason just kept showing up on there end as no service available. I finally have my install scheduled, and everything is good to go now. Thanks for all the help

@Ducky7731  Great news  who ever was doing paper work that day could have missed one form. Might have being bad day for that person. But it takes time to sort  things out in a big company. Polecat 

bradw
Just Moved In

I have fiber in the neighborhood, but not to my house. When they installed last year, they hooked my fibre drop to my neighbors. They corrected this, but did not install the finer drop from the flower pot to my house. Now, if I want fiber, I must sign a 2 yr contract with Telus for them to come out and install it and the costs are ridiculous. Consumer blackmail at its finest.

@bradw  Did you not request the fiber to be installed your house when they were doing the subdivision. Your fiber how do you know this and what the hell is a flower pot. You will for have to sign up for a 2 year contract i had to when changed from copper to fiber and i am a telus customer  are you. All people in our area were surveyed to see  if they wanted the fiber installed to house no cost. I waited a year to change to fiber. Polecat

I approved the drop and everything. The "flower pot" is the demarcation point from the fiber node to your property. From there, they run underground to the service in your house. When they installed this, they ran the drop from my yard to my neighbours house, meaning he would effectively get fiber service and I would be billed. when this happened, I let them know and they corrected by putting in a "flower pot" on his yard and fixed his service. Mine was not done at all, and had endless promises to do so. Now in order for the drop to come into my house, they are saying I must sign a 2 yr contract.

@bradw  If the neighbour signed a 2 year probally you will to. If you are on telus copper should be no cost. Don't rely on chat go phone into billing. I kept my original package same cost for short time then upgraded and then cost went up. Some people refused fiber install here but a few  months down road they wanted  but had to up to a year for fibe install crew to come back from where ever local tel crew generally don't run cables need the equipment. A friend of had fiber installed they hand dug it in no cost to him. Go to billing chat people are not well informed. If you have the internet service from telus billing should be the same as now.