cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading from Playstore killed all wired devices

RobG3987
Ambassador
Strange one here:
Recently downloaded a very large game on my PlayStation (wired connection)
While the download continues (48G took 45 muniutes) ALL other wired devices on my home network showed timeout issues and couldn't access the internet while the PS continued the download.
WIFI connected devices were still useable.
On Pure fibre connection.
Any ideas, suggestions?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found the problem was my 16 port network switch in the middle was the culprit, which explains why the wifi devices were unaffected.
Replaced with a new Gb switch and all's good now.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

marv1998700
Friendly Neighbour

I have the same issue here, but not by downloading large files.

The wired devices would lost internet and would never recover back, the only solution is to hard reset the optic modem. 

I've phoned the Telus and they claimed that they hard reset the modem remotely, it had been stable for 4 days and then the problem came back again.

If I chose to hard reset the modem by myself via the modem's admin console, it would work for a couple hours up to a day then the issue would come back again.

There must be something wrong with the optic modem but not advises yet.

I found the problem was my 16 port network switch in the middle was the culprit, which explains why the wifi devices were unaffected.
Replaced with a new Gb switch and all's good now.

marv1998700
Friendly Neighbour

I have replaced the switch and it has been working well a bit longer than the old one but after one week the internet problem came back again.

I put a managed switch (TL-SG108E} in its place and setup individual VLANS for 3 distinct isolated networks and enabled QOS on the 1 critical to stable networking. I'll see how that works out.

marv1998700
Friendly Neighbour

---