cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential Diagnosis of repeatable hours long fiber outages

Notaditz
Just Moved In
Every single day this week at about 5:15pm PST our 1 GB fiber Internet in Metchosin, BC goes offline. This outage can last from 45 mins (40%) to 5 hours (60%). If it lasts 45 minutes, there will be another outage at about 7:20pm and that will last for another 1 hour (20%) to 4 hrs (20%). Restarting the modem does not help.

I know all this detail because I have both a Ring alarm and a omada switch that report offline/online status from the Cloud..

The Tech was here yesterday to replace the modem in the morning. This was after the support line very confidently said the modem was the problem. They went so far as to state that they “guaranteed” that the problem would never recur “100%”.

5:12pm yesterday? Out again until 10:15. Modem blinking, power on restart no help. So evidently the modem was NOT the problem. Then at 10:15, suddenly back on - no intervention needed.

During the rest of the time the speed is good, ping times are low, no errors are reported. It just goes offline and the modem starts blinking between 5:12 and 5:20pm.

What can cause this symptom? Is it possible the loop is overloaded (I think fiber isn’t supposed to have that problem, right?) or could the place where our fiber joins the bundle on the pole at the end of our driveway be overloaded/overheating, perhaps or the other end from our modem be “challenged” as demand increases?

How do we escalate this to a support person with tools to diagnose fiber infrastructure issues?

Our physical install is about 6 months old and this problem first was noticed after the big windstorm in March when we had a couple of day long outages - which I observed remotely as above as I was not in the house. This week it has been every single day - the difference is we are in the house this week and actually using the Internet actively. At what point do we start getting refunds for lack of delivery of what we paid for?

3 REPLIES 3

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Dimo-X

@Notaditz Wrote: How do we escalate this to a support person with tools to diagnose fiber infrastructure issues?

Good day... This would be my personal nightmare, having no service more than having stable service most of the time. I just can't imagine having to put up with this.

I would try to contact Telus during one of the outages, they maybe able to ping the modem and see remotely what maybe happening. Or conversely confirm that no connection is currently happening with the modem.

As well I would confirm with Telus support a trouble ticket number so you are able to have that reference each and every time you contact Telus.

I'm sure that with the correct prodding Telus should be able to get this corrected.

I've tagged @Dimo-X on this note as he is a moderator of this forum, perhaps he maybe able to make an additional suggestion to get this problem rectified.... Cheers

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as "Solution", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

@Dimo-X, sorry I couldn't tag you in my first reply.

@DrPacman wrote:

@Dimo-X

@Notaditz Wrote: How do we escalate this to a support person with tools to diagnose fiber infrastructure issues?

Good day... This would be my personal nightmare, having no service more than having stable service most of the time. I just can't imagine having to put up with this.

I would try to contact Telus during one of the outages, they maybe able to ping the modem and see remotely what maybe happening. Or conversely confirm that no connection is currently happening with the modem.

As well I would confirm with Telus support a trouble ticket number so you are able to have that reference each and every time you contact Telus.

I'm sure that with the correct prodding Telus should be able to get this corrected.

I've tagged @Dimo-X on this note as he is a moderator of this forum, perhaps he maybe able to make an additional suggestion to get this problem rectified.... Cheers

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as "Solution", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

No worries @DrPacman 🙂 Thanks for tagging and you've pretty much summed up the possible routes for further support!

@Notaditz Your circumstances do seem a bit odd... and in this case would warrant a more in-depth investigation by the tech support team. It would be best to reach out to them and have the issue escalated. They might need to do some more tests on their side and possibly dispatch a technician again.