cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Telus fibre to SFP directly to Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

Benedmonton
Friendly Neighbour

My old Telus Fiber Gateway is old and not sure throughput speeds available.

Hope to connect Telus fibre directly to new Ubiquiti UDM-Pro SFP+ WAN input to get 750M or 1G speeds.

Wondering if this be possible with existing fibre connection.

Here are photos of existing Alcatel fibre modem.

1474154A-9CC2-4D8B-9EFC-D7C757F36C81.jpeg3910779B-C8D4-4602-B049-B7E13F1003F3.jpeg?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Benedmonton Wrote: Does these old modems have the required Gpon module?

The pictures have just become visible, so looking at the image, seems that device has a nonremovable module contained with in it. So you may have to contact Telus and have that device upgraded. Not sure if there may be a charge for that service or not. Again I would contact Telus to see what the upgrade path maybe...

===============================================================================

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that specific modem, and your pictures have not propagated so we are unable to see just what has been posted.

That all being said, I would suspect that Telus has continued to utilize a standard Gpon module for all their fiber installations, so the odd are good that you should be able to make the direct upgrade with the equipment you have.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as "Solution", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Benedmonton Wrote: Hope to connect Telus fibre directly to new Ubiquiti UDM-Pro SFP+ WAN input.

Long as you have a separate Gpon module supplied and registered by Telus you are indeed able to insert it directly into a UDMPro. The only cavate is you have to lock the incoming WAN port on the UDMpro at 1Gbps. It won't work if you have the WAN port set to Auto, or 10Gbps.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as "Solution", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

This is what was thinking. Does these old modems have the required Gpon module?

it is currently working today.

Benedmonton
Friendly Neighbour

That is what was thinking. Does these old modems have the required Gpon module?

it is currently working today.

@Benedmonton Wrote: Does these old modems have the required Gpon module?

The pictures have just become visible, so looking at the image, seems that device has a nonremovable module contained with in it. So you may have to contact Telus and have that device upgraded. Not sure if there may be a charge for that service or not. Again I would contact Telus to see what the upgrade path maybe...

===============================================================================

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that specific modem, and your pictures have not propagated so we are unable to see just what has been posted.

That all being said, I would suspect that Telus has continued to utilize a standard Gpon module for all their fiber installations, so the odd are good that you should be able to make the direct upgrade with the equipment you have.