cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot make transition to Google email on my Outlook on a Surface.

WH
Neighbour
We have successfully transitioned from Telus to Google email service on our Outlook on our desktop. But have not been successful in the transition on our Outlook on our Surface. We have made all the changes but then when we try to "test the settings" the login box just pops back up. It does not provide any errors or codes....

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Yes, we have closed Outlook, and rebooted.
4 REPLIES 4

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

When I setup Outlook (IMAP) for GMail I found that when configuring the advanced settings if I selected SSL after setting the Port number the port number would change to the default. This caused the setup to not work. I would check those settings to see if the port numbers are correct:

Ensure the following Server Port Numbers are entered: 

• Incoming server: 993 
  • Outgoing server: 465  
The type of encrypted connection should be set to SSL for both servers.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Thanks for the info. I experienced the same issue when setting up outlook on the Desktop. I have confirmed all the correct settings on the Surface and they are still there adter a reboot. When I try to test the settings the log in box just keeps popping up without any errors.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I had a similar issue setting up one of my Telus accounts. In the end I just deleted the account from Outlook and recreated it (ensuring the ports were correct) and that worked.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Solved. The settings were correct. The issue was a security setting that was too high.