cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access ONT after bridge mode

tjcstuart
Just Moved In

Just had TELUS fiber installed. I've set the ONT to Port 1 Bridge mode.

I have 2 different routers connected to Port 1 (dumb switch between). 

Both are up and working perfectly. However I can't get into the modem from within my network. 

I connected my laptop to the 10G port and was still able to get into the ONT from that, but I think that caused the other devices to drop off. 

What is the best way to admin the ONT after bridging it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DrPacman
Rockstar

@tjcstuart Wrote: I can't get into the modem from within my network. 

Good day…

You have run into one of the interesting phenomenon’s of utilizing a NH20A in bridged mode.

First off, you’ll find that the TELUS ONT/Modem will grab 2 WAN IP addresses.

First one will be issued to the bridged port, and in your case the second on the additional ports.

In my case I have the 10Gbps port bridged, and the others end up with the secondary WAN IP.

The only way the I have found to access the NH20A while in bridged mode is to connect a Laptop/Computer directly to one of the non-bridged ports, and let it issue a new IP address to that device, and then login as one normally would using the 192.168.1.254 address with the credentials printed on the label attached to the face of the NH20A. (Password is indeed case sensitive as shown).

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

DrPacman
Rockstar

@tjcstuart Wrote: I can't get into the modem from within my network. 

Good day…

You have run into one of the interesting phenomenon’s of utilizing a NH20A in bridged mode.

First off, you’ll find that the TELUS ONT/Modem will grab 2 WAN IP addresses.

First one will be issued to the bridged port, and in your case the second on the additional ports.

In my case I have the 10Gbps port bridged, and the others end up with the secondary WAN IP.

The only way the I have found to access the NH20A while in bridged mode is to connect a Laptop/Computer directly to one of the non-bridged ports, and let it issue a new IP address to that device, and then login as one normally would using the 192.168.1.254 address with the credentials printed on the label attached to the face of the NH20A. (Password is indeed case sensitive as shown).

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

I believe I have an fxa5000 (and maybe this is the same as the NH20A, I'm not familiar with any of these). 

Is there a manual so I can see what options do what action and decide on best setup? 

What happens if I select the complete bridge option? 

@tstuart Wrote: I believe I have an fxa5000.

Good day....

The Technicolor FXA500 and Arcadyan NH20A are basically identical. The only physical differences are a metal plate inside the Arcadyan NH20A that is plastic in the Technicolor FXA500.

However, there are some differences in the firmware and user GUI between the 2. The menus' have a different look, however, they both accomplish the same things.

I have looked for and not found any viable documentation on either of the devices, been purely trial and error understanding the user GUI.

Bridging all the ports does just that, lets an additional router/hardware control routing/firewalls functions. basically turns' your Technicolor FXA500 or Arcadyan NH20A into a glorified media converter.

One thing to remember is, that if you have problems with the ONT/Modem you can always just factory reset the device and start the configuration again... i.e.. no harm, no foul if you misconfigure the device, a very simple fix to get it back in action.

That was my bigger issue, if I did make a mess of things could I get back to "as installed" state. So the fact I can means I"m going to start playing and see what I can break!

Thanks!