cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bnoronb
Just Moved In

I got many scam calls that appear as a local TELUS number in the 613 area code.

Sometimes I miss the call entirely and there is no voice message, so I will return the call because it is a local exchange.  The person always says that they didn't call me.

And sometimes I'm the one being called, with the person saying "Hey man, you just called me." and I have to explain to a very skeptical person that I did not.

What I have learned is that scammers are using local exchanges when they spoof the call display number for precisely the reason that people are more likely to answer if the number is a local exchange. 

I know that the origination number and the call display number are signalled separately, and that at some point the real origination number is dropped and only the call display number is retained, for efficiency in the signalling.  I also understand that there are legitimate reasons for the origination number and the call display number to be different (e.g. The Ottawa Hospital having a single call display number regardless of where in the hospital system the call originates).

Despite all that, it seems to me that TELUS could work with equipment providers to come up with a feature that would allow TELUS to screen calls when they enter the TELUS network if the originating number is in a foreign country, does not match the call display number, and is not registered as a legitimate business with special call display considerations.  Even if there are still concerns about blocking the calls automatically, they could still be traced and investigated, and blocked on an individual basis.

4 Comments
Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your option is to turn on Call Control. It's free and blocks pretty much all robocalls. See: https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/call-control-for-mobile-devices-explained

Spoofing has been going on for decades. If the scammers are using a VoIP provider, which many are, finding the originating caller number isn't possible. Many of those VoIP providers have local gateway numbers so there are no overseas numbers used.

Unfortunately the way that telecom technology is worldwide, there's no easy solution without re-engineering how the whole planet communicates. With the current tech, the STIR/SHAKEN feature can help but it is very limited in the number of cell phones that actually support it. It's not available on landlines.

Status changed to: Completed
A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

bnoronb
Just Moved In

"Your option is to turn on Call Control." It's not a good option.  It requires administration on my part, and doesn't solve all aspects of the problem.  There will still be other people out there getting calls from what appears to be my phone number.  Sure, they won't be able to as easily call me back, but they still get the call with my number being spoofed.

And what if a local number ends up getting blocked, but later the real owner of the number wants to reach me?

Most importantly I don't want a solution that just helps me, but something helps everyone receiving these calls.

"Spoofing has been going on for decades."  Yes, I know.  Honestly, I don't even know why you would bother to write that.  For what percentage of Canadians do think that is new information?  Or are you trying to tell me I should have just accepted it by now.

Well, I do accept that it is a thing, and that people loathe it, and that telcos could have been doing a lot more to stop it at the source.  That's why felt compelled to write the suggestion.  I don't want a band-aid solution; I want the telcos to take more responsibility for it.  I thought this might be a forum where suggestions might be taken seriously but I see I was wasting (probably still am wasting) my time.

When calls enter a new network, origination information has to be part of it, for billing purposes.  If it really is true that calls originating outside the Telus network but carrying numbers administrated by Telus cannot be distinguished from the legitimate users of those numbers, then maybe that is also something Telus and the other telcos should rectify.  But if that really is true, how does billing work?  Wouldn't long distance calls spoofing a Telus customer's number, and passing through different operators, result in long distance charges arriving back at the Telus customer's account?

xray
Hero

Call Control has been a great option for me. I turned it on years ago when it first became available and I've literally had zero spam calls since then. I forget it's there and never even think about it. I'm not sure what administration you think you need to do.

"And what if a local number ends up getting blocked, but later the real owner of the number wants to reach me?"

Call Control doesn't work the way you think it does. If a call doesn't pass Call Control the number is not added to a blocked list, it just doesn't go through. A future call from the same number will be prompted to enter a number again. You can choose to permanently block a number if you like but it would require deliberate action on your part to add it to the blocked list.