cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power outage

Corinne
Neighbour

When the power goes out if you have fiber cable to your house you will not have home service. No 911 service. Way to go telus. 

6 REPLIES 6

MrSL
Leader

This certainly isn't unique to Telus.

Any service provider that supplies your internet/phone service whether that was cable or optical would fail during a power outage.

Only advice I can offer is to have a cellphone. I believe even if it's not active with 'no plan' you should still be able to make a 911 call.

Not true. For years one could always count on a land line phone to work when the power went out. Now the equipment in the home needs to be powered. When it was copper lines coming into your home everything was power from the office.

Tyson

You are talking about old legacy equipment that used the copper lines for a landline. That is a tiny percentage of users and very few companies offer landline connections like that anymore.

Modern landline phones use Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology, which allows them to make calls over the internet rather than through a traditional phone line which is a significant cost saving to service providers.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Corinne @MrSL 

TELUS's fibre-based home phone has an optional battery backup so that you can continue to use in the event of a power outage. You just need to call in to technical support to arrange to have a technician come and install it.

does that extend to TelusTV+? for battery backup?

If you have inverter based AC then will all Telus fibre equipement work.

Gas fireplace and TV to watch during a power outage sounds like a nice evening.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

I'm far from an expert on this subject, but the backup battery is only for the ONT (optical network terminal), and would not apply to any devices that are plugged into your home's normal grid-tied receptacles such as routers, TV boxes, Wi-Fi boosters etc. 

You CAN always access the TELUS TV+ app on mobile devices over mobility networks in Canada, so you can fire up the fireplace and grab a charged-up tablet 😃.