cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optik TV frequent internet disruptions and countless rebots

Hewstone
Neighbour

Almost as soon as we converted to Telus Optik TV from shaw two years ago we have had to regularly reboot our system every time we want to watch anything, either manually by unplugging the modem or by using the settings menu when the system shuts down.  The most common error code message is that we have lost our internet connection.

We check the internet signal on our other devices (iphone, computers ipad etc) and they all work properly showing a strong wifi signal. Sometimes if we press the return button or go the home screen and select another channel it will work.  We then go back to the channel we were watching when it crapped out and it will work for a bit until it quits again.  VERY FRUSTRATING.

We have two black box modems in our home and they both do basically the same thing.  Both boxes are within about ten feet from the wifi router.

We're at our wits end and I'd switch back to Shaw but I don't think their system is having any better luck from what I read in the reviews.  I'm tired of paying $300+ a month for a service I can't even dependably use. Plus you can't get any support either by chat or phone.  I've tried both.  Chat is nothing more than robots and when you phone your put into a never ending loop with muzak until you give up.

Pretty close to throwing the whole thing in the garbage and use Starlink to simply stream what we want to watch.  

7 REPLIES 7

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Definitely not the experience we want our customers to have. Feel free to send us a private message if you'd like to discuss further.

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

Please excuse the harsh tone of this post. All I can say is that this whole experience has been unbelievably frustrating. We changed from our long standing Shaw service when friends of ours recommended the Optik TV service. We also used it on occasion when traveling to a few Air BNB's. We were very impressed. But those systems had a different modem which I think was A LOT more stable and reliable.

I don't expect perfection when it comes to anything involving IT or IT related systems but the issue is a regular one and all the fixes that we've tried don't seem to work.

At the beginning when Optik was first set up we had frequent disruptions with both TV's. I moved the routers for both closer to the modem's about 10 ft away and this seemed to do the trick. But over time the same issues started again and with even more regularity.

Reboots will get us up back up and running for a short while, then it's back to the same thing. Also going back to the home page and finding a different channel will work but soon it shuts down. I did a factory reset on one of the modems and that didn't work either.

So as I say it's frustrating when watching something and it just shuts down.

I'm to the point now that I don't really watch the actual TV anymore and only use my apple TV to stream various providers via their apps using my StarLink system. So I think my Optik TV days are numbered.

Doug McLennan

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

We’re sorry to hear about your frustrating experience with Optik TV. Please send us a private message with your account details so we can look closely at your setup and explore potential solutions.

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

How do I send you a private message???

Thanks

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

One of the easiest ways to send a message is to click on @TELUS_Support's name, and click the Send Message button on the right of their profile:

pm5.png

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Rocky3
Rockstar

Yes, another new problem, the 21T tuner loses internet, it now says that on screen, whereas before the picture would freeze. This is not a one off problem so other than personal information I get very frustrated with support saying PM me and the thread goes dead. Oh wait, maybe that is the intention.

BTW I have always used an ethernet connection to the router, so rule out WIFI as the issue.

Rocky 3,
Not sure how widespread this issue is but I think the problem is common for those with the newer tuner. I get lots of "oh that's terrible just send us the details and we'll see what we can do" from Telus, but nothing really happens.

Both our routers are ethernet connected and work perfectly with any other devices in our home using wifi except the most expensive and most used appliance in our house THE TV.

Like I said I've given up and use Starlink or stream on my Firestick or Apple TV. They always work, never freeze and don't require me to contact a non existent customer service contact.