cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optik TV Price Increases Exhorbitant August 1!!!

Minky
Ambassador

Starting on August 1, 2018, the regular monthly subscription rate for the Popular Sports Theme pack on Optik TV will increase from $14 per month to $16 per month.

Starting on August 1, 2018, the regular monthly subscription rate for the following Theme packs on Optik TV will increase to $13 per month: I did not list them because it likely has them all. (at least the English ones).

Does any0ne know if there are rate increases coming for the Pick Six Theme Packs???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That change was announced June 1st. It reads that the stand alone channel packs are going up. Didn't mention the combo packs. Website still shows You Pick 6 as $60/mo in a bundle with Internet 50.

TV will sadly keep getting more expensive as the cost to produce a lot of the shows out there skyrockets. Some high profile shows have the stars alone getting $1 mil+ per episode (best example: Big Bang Theory - 5 stars @ $1m each per episode) and that doesn't include the cost of anything else it takes to produce each episode (labour & materials). Smaller shows are not immune to this either.

I tend to stream a lot of Netflix. No commercials. Smiley LOL

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That change was announced June 1st. It reads that the stand alone channel packs are going up. Didn't mention the combo packs. Website still shows You Pick 6 as $60/mo in a bundle with Internet 50.

TV will sadly keep getting more expensive as the cost to produce a lot of the shows out there skyrockets. Some high profile shows have the stars alone getting $1 mil+ per episode (best example: Big Bang Theory - 5 stars @ $1m each per episode) and that doesn't include the cost of anything else it takes to produce each episode (labour & materials). Smaller shows are not immune to this either.

I tend to stream a lot of Netflix. No commercials. Smiley LOL

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

We have You Pick Six so I was wondering about the price of the package deal going up.  Saw the price increase notice on checking service updates webpage today. 

My bro-in-law had a limited number of packs, and paying 81 per month before the price increase.  Got him to take a 2 year contract and the You Pick Six.  New rate is 60 per month for 3 months and then 70.  No longer has to pay box rental.  Saved him a bundle.

BUT so much for the Telus slogan of just paying for the channels you wan to watch!

As for us we watch local news, sports channels, some specialty channels.  No lengthy programming like movies.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Maybe PikTV would be a better fit, if you want a minimum of channels, and true selection.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The CRTC has allowed some broadcasters to still force bundle channels together and not allow for individual purchase. That is out of the hands of service providers like Telus / Shaw / etc. Channels included in that include:

• Super Channel group of channels
  • TMN & HBO Canada with Crave (includes the CW)
  • TMN Combo with Crave (includes the CW)
  • TMN Encore
  • TSN (5 channels)
  • Sportsnet

Most of those are Bell Canada's property as a broadcaster. Rogers is Sportsnet.

Telus currently has 220 individual channels that are individually selectable. Shaw's main individual list looks even shorter.

This is a vicious cycle.  As @Nighthawk mentioned, it costs more and more to produce shows.  That makes TV expensive in general.  That makes people cut cords.  That  makes TV deliverers to charge more which leads to... You get the idea.  I don't know where it will end.  My approach to these things is to talk to Loyalty department and nicely ask them what they can do.  More often than not they will be sympathetic to customers concern and you get a break from the regular price.  Ultimately, as customers we have to decide whether the services we get is worth what we pay for.