cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No video, no sound on Toshiba Smart TV

shegide
Organizer

I've had the TV for six years and it's been perfect. No problems whatsoever, no signs that it was failing. So, a few days ago I was watching a movie on Netflix and about half-way through I hit back/exit to check the title. As often happens, I'm logged out of Netflix and returned to Optik TV. To break the connection to Netflix, I powered off then powered on, selected apps and it's a bit of a blur after that, but since then my TV has been on the blink, that is, it's black. 

I can turn it off and on and when on, the Toshiba logo screen is there, but then it goes to black again. Normally, the next screen would be the Optik Ok screen. So it seems that Optik does not see the TV or the TV does not see Optik. I've also  noticed that the set box and the TV get out of synch. So the TV may be on but the set box is off, or vice versa. The TV remote is not working and the only button on the Optik remote that's working is the power button. I've changed the batteries for both. Wifi is unaffected.

Online, tried restart internet equipment and restart Optik TV equipment. Both failed. I noticed that the HDMI plug to the back of the TV did not fit the socket very well, so tried it in another socket, but that didn't work either. Still, plug or cord might be degraded, ditto other connections.

I guess I should call Telus which I dread but meanwhile wondered if anyone had a similar experience. Much obliged.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sounds like a back lighting or main board issue. The very least you should be able to see the TV menu regardless of a source connected to it. I believe it's time to shop for a new TV.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

xray
Hero

Test the TV HDMI input by connecting to a laptop or DVD/Blu-ray player. If that works then the problem is the Optik box. If it doesn't work then it's your TV or HDMI cable.

shegide
Organizer

Hey, thank you! But just to be clear, I remove the HDMI cable from the input socket on the back of the TV and insert it into the HDMI socket on my DVD player. The socket on my DVD player says HDMI output or is that irrelevant?

@shegide @xray  If your tv remote allows you to get to set up  and settings on the screen. The tv should be ok if not tv probably no good. Am i correct Xray. Hourly cost of repair i high if you can find someone a 6 year old tv the required toshiba parts will be somewhere in the world not stocked anymore. My wife and i set up a appliance replacement account in the bank and about 5 years into the appliances age we start putting a small amount into it for appliances aging out. Bad year 2019 fridge stove w&d tv all in 14 months that cleaned it out. We now starting to put some back for down the road. It helped the wallet burn.

Hey Polecat, the TV remote does not work. The only thing I get on the screen is the Toshiba logo screen for a few seconds then it goes to black again. I can turn the TV off and on with Telus remote but that's all.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sounds like a back lighting or main board issue. The very least you should be able to see the TV menu regardless of a source connected to it. I believe it's time to shop for a new TV.

Hey, thank you for your opinion. I'm slowly realizing that the TV is probably the problem. It seems significant that the TV remote doesn't see the TV. However, the Optik remote only turns the TV and the set box off and on. Running out of steam so I think I'll try to get Telus to come and change some cables at least. 

xray
Hero

The remote may work and show menu items but that doesn't mean the HDMI port is working on the TV. The test with a DVD player on the TV HDMI port will show if the problem is the TV port/HDMI cable or the Optik box.

Hey xray. Well, that didn't work and I think I might have fried my DVD player, which is old (2007) anyway so no great loss. After I made the switch it made a lot of noise, then it settled on a H02 error. I'm going to call Telus and try to make an appt for a tech to come. If it's the TV I want to be positive it's the TV. Then I can move on and get another one. 

So, thank you for your help. It made a lot of sense and it helped narrow it down.

xray
Hero

Can you confirm that you connected the TV HDMI to the DVD player HDMI?

Where did you see the H02 error, on the TV or on the DVD player?

Yes, that's what I did. And the error message is on the DVD. Apparently it's a common error on Panasonic DVD's so I might be able to fix it. Status of the TV and TV controller is the same. I don't know if it's relevant but ever since fibre optik was installed I've noticed that Optik is initializing a lot, much more than before. Also, Telus subscribed me to a channel that I didn't initiate. 

Just wanted to update to the latest. It is indeed the TV. I received a new PVR from Telus which did not fix the problem. Son was visiting and he was able to rule out everything but the TV. I was looking at average life spans of all TVs and six years is about right.

Thanks again everyone. Now I know more about TVs than I ever wanted to know! Just kidding! Now when I look across the room at it all, how it all works is not a mystery.