cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Optik box is AWFUL

Richard727
Neighbour

This new box is awful and TELUS will do nothing about it for me. I even asked to revert to the old box.

Issues I am having:

1. Every time I turn the box on, I need to select my favourites as the channel selection. Every time.

2. Recorded shows keep disappearing.

3. I have Gig wifi speed (from Telus, the modem is literally 9 inches away from the new and terrible Telus PVR) and I need to wait minutes upon minutes to search for shows that are a few days out. The guide doesn’t load and if it does, it locks up and then goes blank until you start the process all over again.

4. Here is the second best thing - Telus will not, for any reason, send me one of the old PVR’s that were actually intuitive and work… I asked 3 times.

5. The BEST thing - when you use the voice control to search for a show, it only shows me the apps that the series/show plays on AND THEY DO NOT REQUIRE TELUS. Ie) I learned that I don’t need Telus to watch 14 different shows that I searched (via the voice remote) and the same Telus remote told me to use said apps. Effective business model! I now know I just need to subscribe to several apps (40% cheaper total than Telus each month) and get everything I want. Why wouldn’t they fix this??

This has to get fixed. Seriously, it’s awful.

9 REPLIES 9

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Our dev team is working on improving the Optik experience all the time, and releasing patches/updates as frequently as possible to combat these and other issues. We'll definitely forward this feedback to them right away.

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

How can you say that with a straight (face) type.

The DEV team cannot figure out how they made the My Favorite guide disappear as default when you turn on the set.

See attached screenshot for my most current update check.

20240826_191913.jpg

3.3.5.1.230724? quite a jump in numbers. Just above the kernel is July 24

So is that July 23, 2024 or July 24, 2023 OR do their numbers relate to anything?

Notice any improvements?

It's definitely July 24, 2023 UCT time stamped. They use Coordinated Universal Time (created for reporting earthquake occurances). How ironic nothing earth shattering to report here other than shock and disbelief reported by loyal subscribers for over a year now as to why Telus would release a "beta" version for widespread use. 

Nothing new to report on my end as I installed boxes August 2024 and happened on this forum when I asked Lord Google for help after exhausting all troubleshooting tactics 2 weeks into switching out my still functional Legacy PVRs. So much for progress!😱

AndroidR
Coach

Richard727,

I hear you and feel your pain!

From an Optik'al standpoint, one has to wonder if the Telus Support Team subscribe to Telus as their provider. Perhaps not all, it's a free world afterall, but some to be sure. 

Hence, they must share or at least be empathetic to our pain and shared experiences. 

Telus TV+ is referred to as Evolution, yet is unfortunately presenting as Devolution. 

My commentary is not meant to be mean-spirited. Just expressing the frustrations of the mutual shared experiences of many. 

AndroidR
Coach

Optik'ally speaking...appears a lot of Dev work, yet, to be done. 🤔

AndroidR
Coach

Screenshot_20240829_012039_Chrome.jpg

Got this Reply...see attached screenshot. 

Richard727
Neighbour

Update - zero change except that I’m up to 17 shows that the Telus PVR has shown me I do not need Telus for. Now up to a 62% savings if I get rid of Telus and use the (need to pay for) apps available on my smart TV. That’s a monthly savings of about $125. Why in the crap would Telus let this keep happening??
Alas, This is hilariously sad…