cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is TELUS using community or private parking for their Fleet?

FrankRubye
Friendly Neighbour

This a weird topic to bring up regarding a company that posted 20.1 billion in revenues last year but does TELUS use community parking for its service fleet?

I would think a company, a conglomerate, this size would either have enough resources to house their own service vehicles or at the very least compensate they’re employees who do take their service vehicles home daily for the parking of said vehicles.  It is strange to me that at the condo my Grandma lives in (mod edit - private info) there is this one van using the visitors parking daily, usually nearest to the main door to the building.   At first, people thought he is there on a service call, but this is not the case.

Ever since my Grandma’s building had to let go of their Property Management Company, the TELUS Work Van (V232528) parks in visitor parking religiously. I understand there is no one there to issue fines or monitoring our visitors parking but please take others into consideration as a Corporation your size can.  In addition, TELUS serves this community and this very building which is partly how they generate those billion$; could TELUS not use our property to house their vehicles?  

With so many people/companies abusing the visitors parking and with so many seniors in our complex this has become a burden for them as their Health Care Workers cannot find parking after 5pm.  Also,  everyone else who lives there does not have a place for their visiting friends and family to park which makes living here very sad.  Lastly, there are many others who do follow the rules and either purchased parking stall when buying their condo or rent one out monthly. 

Can you please let me know what your policy on this matter is so I can communicate that with the condo board and community groups in the area that I am involved in.

Thank you kindly,

Frank Rubye

TELUS VAN.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey. First, I edited out the address of the apartment building as we like to not have private info posted. I'll send a message over to the driver's manager to get to the bottom of this. Everything Nighthawk said is correct, and if there's an infraction of your strata's bylaws in terms of parking space / visitor parking space usage, reach out to your strata council or property mgmt contact. That all being said, as mentioned I'll forward this post off to the driver's manager right away!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

First thing to keep in mind is Telus as a corporation is not parking the van on the property. It'll be one individual making a bad decision. There is also blame to go around for the property manager and condo board.

As someone in a condo, and who was the primary contact on site for the Telus fibre install, I would say that it is very unusual for them to be parked in visitor parking that much. In my building, residents are not permitted to park in visitor parking unless specifically permitted to by the board or property manager. Even then it's only short term at most.

Speaking from my own experience as someone on a condo board, if your grandmother's property manager or condo board isn't dealing with visitor parking, they have a problem that they will need to address and the unit owners need to get active in voicing their complaints to both. Short term, have your grandmother request that the property manager or board puts a written warning on the vehicle for being parked in visitor parking and that it should no longer be parked there. We do that in our building just because it's faster and easier than waiting for Bylaw to show up.

In Edmonton, where I am, the condo board can call bylaw to have vehicles issued with warnings, tagged, or in the worst case, towed. The board just needs documentation from the property manager stating who is on the board, though that bylaw rule may just be specific to Edmonton. For my building, it's rare that it gets to Bylaw as the board issued warnings tend to be effective. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Dear Mr. Nighthawk,

In my post I said "Ever since my Grandma’s building had to let go of their Property Management Company, the TELUS Work Van (V232528) parks in visitor parking religiously," for 3 months and "there is no one there to issue fines or monitoring our visitors parking." For background, the Building is in a lawsuit with the Property Management Firm they use to have and have not been able to hire a new one as of yet. Currently, everything is being done by volunteers whom live in the units. They cannot call the bylaws or authorizes as some one needs to wait for them to show up to show proof they manage the building. Like you expressed they take a long time to show up and no volunteer wants to wait that long in a cold parking lot. That is why this TELUS employee is taking advantage of the situation while tarnishing the TELUS brand name making them look like they cannot afford to house their own vehicles or cannot afford to pay fair wages....or even worse make them seem like they are just some Giant Corporation that doesn't care about the communities they serve.

Yes it is one individual, not the company, parking there but can you tell me where you'd draw that line? If I was wearing my Company's uniform and was caught on video stealing or something do you think my company would have concerns? If it were your company and they were doing what this TELUS employee is doing with the TELUS property would you be concerned? I am sure TELUS has rules when taking home their vehicles as their property is their responsibility. I am sure they require the worker to follow the driving laws and the citys' parking laws; I'm sure TELUS doesn't expect their service vehicles parked in visitors parking for 3 months.

I just want my Grandma to have the right for her dwelling to have available parking for her visitors (as myself) or care workers. Other tenants in the building are buying parking stalls at 15 grand, renting at $150 monthly, or parking blocks always on the street. This guy is taking from the community and stealing it for free; soon others start to feel, "what is the point of following the rules or renting a stall if TELUS parks in visitors all the time; why shouldn't I?"

I don't think this is a big ask.

FrankRubye
Friendly Neighbour

PS it has been 3 solid months

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey. First, I edited out the address of the apartment building as we like to not have private info posted. I'll send a message over to the driver's manager to get to the bottom of this. Everything Nighthawk said is correct, and if there's an infraction of your strata's bylaws in terms of parking space / visitor parking space usage, reach out to your strata council or property mgmt contact. That all being said, as mentioned I'll forward this post off to the driver's manager right away!

FrankRubye
Friendly Neighbour

May 2nd - Parking in Visitors - (meta tag left on photo) - 

In case there is any doubt to my story in the previous post I'll post picture with meta data to prove this is happening.

May 2nd - South Pointe

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

As stated, I've alerted the driver's manager. There's no need to keep creating multiple posts about the same thing.

FrankRubye
Friendly Neighbour

Your response partly included that this was on my Property Management Company, "if there's an infraction of your strata's bylaws in terms of parking space / visitor parking space usage, reach out to your strata council or property mgmt contact."... NO it is on your company, full stop. If YOUR drivers are using our parking stalls with YOUR Vehicles I don't care about the Strata bylaws.....I care that your Company uses our property.

Also, you said MyNighthawk was correct and part of his reply is that he didn't believe a TELUS Van would park there all the time. If you or anyone doesn't feel that this Van is actually parking here I will make it apparent to ALL.

If you stop so will I!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The van should not be in VISITOR parking on a frequent basis. If the van in question is in a titled/rented stall, then you would not have a valid complaint. The photo you posted in your original complaint does not show the van being in visitor parking. It has the appearance of a titled/rented stall. 

Original photo by @FrankRubye :

TELUS VAN.png

@A-B 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Fair enough:

upload_-SU1HXzk3MzEuanBn-2563356802463524757..jpg
Now please leave this matter alone. TELUS is resolving the matter and I am just trying to help this community have entitlement to their own property. I am sure their worker is a good worker and not being malicious instead he is following the pack. Since we dropped our Property Management Company it has been a free for all. It is only because of the volunteers that make this place livable but they are limited especially when it comes to parking. Maybe their worker just really believed that since there was no one monitoring it was okay to park there, I kinda understand if that were the case.

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

As an FYI, the manager did in fact get back to me. So you're aware, many techs and installers take their work vehicle home and start their shift at home before heading out. So this isn't necessarily someone performing work at a unit there, but rather they may live there. Regardless, the manager is investigating.

There is also no need to clog up the forums by starting new threads about the same thing, again when I clearly stated that it was already being investigated.

FrankRubye
Friendly Neighbour

You continue to tell me not to keep posting about this and I have tried to do just that but you continue to pretend to miss the point so I'll lay it out again.

NO one thinks this guy is here 5 day a week doing installs. You know that is not what I said (so I'll repost until you understand):

NO ONE Is Allowed To Park in visitors without a Visitors Pass. Even with one it is only 7 day in a month. Your TELUS vehicle is not registered to the condo so he can avoid warning/ tickets. I know he lives in our South Pointe Condominiums, that's 100. I asked you in my first post if TELUS didn't pay him fair wages to afford a parking stall or if TELUS does not provide an Allowance to pay for the parking of the TELUS vehicle?

You are the best at making the company you work for look bad. How many times do I need to write asking that you don't have your workers use Visitor Parking as their own private stalls. Is that really unreasonable?

PLEASE READ  MY ORGINAL POST: if it is not clear please let me know so I may clarify. 
This a weird topic to bring up regarding a company that posted 20.1 billion in revenues last year but does TELUS use community parking for its service fleet?

I would think a company, a conglomerate, this size would either have enough resources to house their own service vehicles or at the very least compensate they’re employees who do take their service vehicles home daily for the parking of said vehicles. It is strange to me that at the condo my Grandma lives in (mode edit - private info) there is this one van using the visitors parking daily, usually nearest to the main door to the building. At first, people thought he is there on a service call, but this is not the case.

Ever since my Grandma’s building had to let go of their Property Management Company, the TELUS Work Van (V232528) parks in visitor parking religiously. I understand there is no one there to issue fines or monitoring our visitors parking but please take others into consideration as a Corporation your size can. In addition, TELUS serves this community and this very building which is partly how they generate those billion$; could TELUS not use our property to house their vehicles?

With so many people/companies abusing the visitors parking and with so many seniors in our complex this has become a burden for them as their Health Care Workers cannot find parking after 5pm. Also, everyone else who lives there does not have a place for their visiting friends and family to park which makes living here very sad. Lastly, there are many others who do follow the rules and either purchased parking stall when buying their condo or rent one out monthly.

Can you please let me know what your policy on this matter is so I can communicate that with the condo board and community groups in the area that I am involved in.

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

1. I've yet again merged this topic with your original. As already stated, the way online forums work is you can simply reply or discuss things in one topic to keep the discussion on topic. Instead of clogging up our forums with the same duplicate post over and over.

2. I've also edited your post as it contained private information (the address of a family member). It's good practice to avoid sharing private information publicly on the internet; this applies pretty much anywhere you may be.

3. Also as stated, the field manager has been alerted and is investigating. I'm aware that people shouldn't park in a visitor section without a visitor pass.

4. The employee's wages is none of your business, nor mine.

5. Our policy is to receive notice of situations such as this, and immediately flag them to the driver's manager...which I've done.

6. Any further duplicate posts about this will once again be merged into this one to keep the community clean and on topic.

7. Let's keep things positive and constructive here. I'd advise you to check out our Community House Rules on the right side of our main landing page. Lots of helpful tips there!