cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMICEC question

Harpreett
Organizer
What is the HDMICEC in the current Telus digital box or PVR? You guys just added that a few months ago what does that setting do? Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

From Wikipedia: Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is a feature of HDMI designed to control HDMI connected devices[1][2] by using only one remote controller; so, individual CEC enabled devices can command and control each other without user intervention, for up to 15 devices.[3]: §CEC-3.1  For example, a television set remote controller can also control a set-top box and a DVD player.

Not only can turning on your set-top box turn on your TV set, it can also force an input change.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

From Wikipedia: Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is a feature of HDMI designed to control HDMI connected devices[1][2] by using only one remote controller; so, individual CEC enabled devices can command and control each other without user intervention, for up to 15 devices.[3]: §CEC-3.1  For example, a television set remote controller can also control a set-top box and a DVD player.

Not only can turning on your set-top box turn on your TV set, it can also force an input change.

Harpreett
Organizer
So how would you change the inputs with your Telus same line to remote if you use HDMICEC setting on the optic PVR or digital box?
Slim line to remote*

The TV that supports CEC should detect the Optik box just turned on and automatically switch the input for you. CEC needs to be enabled on both TV and Optik box.

Thanks everyone for your help I appreciate that

Harpreett
Organizer
So how would we turn on HDMICEC? We have a 2016 Sony Bravia android TV running android TV version nine would it be in the settings page of the TV or in the menu settings when you press the Settings button on the remote

xray
Hero
Sorry for the late reply. For some reason I wasn't automatically subscribed to this thread after I replied so I didn't receive any notifications.

You need to use the Sony remote to access the settings.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00030813
Use the Optik remote to access the settings on the Optik box.
Menu, Settings, General, HDMI CEC