cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do TV Networks earn money from Optik?

Zaneszoo
Friendly Neighbour

I am wondering if TV network stations earn money from Telus Optik TV and roughly how much they get.  Does anyone know?

I assume Telus would need to pay them in order to have something to sell to us to view.  But, maybe, the CRTC says these basic stations must be carried or you can't operate a TV service without them (but that doesn't necessarily mean Telus wouldn't also have to pay them).

I am particularly interested in the various faith/religious stations and either how many dollars they might get or how much (%) of their income is from Telus.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Broadly speaking, yes, TV channel and content providers earn revenue from TELUS. Customers pay TELUS, TELUS pays the content owners (Bell, Rogers, Corus etc. etc.). You'd be safe to assume that the individual channel's popularity and the number of subscribers would have a pretty big impact on the price, so it would vary a lot among the hundreds of available channels. 

The CRTC does have a number of channels that are mandatory in every package in order for a company to be allowed to sell TV service (Google 'skinny basic') - these vary from city to city.

I doubt you'd be able to find how much an individual station/content provider gets and/or what proportion is from an individual Telco. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Broadly speaking, yes, TV channel and content providers earn revenue from TELUS. Customers pay TELUS, TELUS pays the content owners (Bell, Rogers, Corus etc. etc.). You'd be safe to assume that the individual channel's popularity and the number of subscribers would have a pretty big impact on the price, so it would vary a lot among the hundreds of available channels. 

The CRTC does have a number of channels that are mandatory in every package in order for a company to be allowed to sell TV service (Google 'skinny basic') - these vary from city to city.

I doubt you'd be able to find how much an individual station/content provider gets and/or what proportion is from an individual Telco. 

Zaneszoo
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you for the reply.

I was hoping maybe the info was public, or an insider might know, or maybe a station's investor had seen an annual report on revenues.

At least I know none of my monthly fees support Fox News.  LOL

st0106
Advocate
For local channels in Canada, it’s very cheap. Otherwise how can USA local channels, including the local Fox in your basic pack, be able to upload numerous news clips in great pic quality while other countries’ channel always don’t or even have to rely on yt lol.

But it’s possible that channels are able to see the viewership of different time or program via IPTV. Fox News focuses on the military threats of communists and use phrase “CCP” more often while other media use “ChInA” or “ChInEsE” all the time, unless you are willing to watch New Tang Dynasty with a translator. When the balloon toured through the NA, Fox News had extensive tracking and exclusive footage. Sometimes it also have unique footage on non-controversial topics. If we really care for the LGBTQ, we should let Fox know what’s the priority. After all, no place for protests and stuff after commies take over bc westerners were fighting internally for domestic trivia.