cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVR to modem connection issue

yycbond
Neighbour

I am suffering with an issue with the connection from my telus dvr to the telus modem.

Every 48 hrs the connection resets twice as below

13:22:31Kernel eventeth0 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
13:22:31Syslog eventEthernet client disconnected ,ip(192.168.1.66), mac(ac:4c:a5:98:41:fb)
13:22:37Kernel eventeth0 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
13:22:37Syslog eventEthernet client connected ,ip(192.168.1.66), mac(ac:4c:a5:98:41:fb)
13:22:46Kernel eventeth0 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
13:22:46Syslog eventEthernet client disconnected ,ip(192.168.1.66), mac(ac:4c:a5:98:41:fb)
13:22:49Kernel eventeth0 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
13:22:49Syslog eventEthernet client connected ,ip(192.168.1.66), mac(ac:4c:a5:98:41:fb)

I have had telus come out and change all the equipment and it still persists. Now they say that I have too many devices connecting via ethernet and wi-fi and all I can do is disconnect devices until the problem goes away. 

I am on telus 75 and get good speeds.

This has been going on for over a year now and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this

2 REPLIES 2

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Since the equipment swap didn’t solve it and we suggested it might be due to too many connected devices, you could consider using a network monitoring tool to check for device traffic overloads or spikes that might coincide with the resets.

If you haven’t already, you might also try isolating the DVR on its own Ethernet connection, ensuring that no other devices are sharing the same port on the modem. Another option could be upgrading to a higher speed or more advanced router/modem model to handle more devices simultaneously. However, I understand it might not fully address the issue if it’s more complex.

Thanks for the reply.

The DVR is on its own port on the modem and your mention of a network monitoring tool is the first time that has been suggested by anyone at Telus. I am on Telus 75 but since only one of the cable pairs coming into my home is any good I cannot go to a bonded service and higher speed (which I previously was on). Fibre is not an option since most of the community that I live in has been converted but not the portion where I am - and asking Telus on numerous occassions has produced zero responses to why that is. This concerns me since if the one good pair I have fails then my wifes work from home business will be down with no solution available>

After digging around in various posting sites I saw the mention of using port 1 on my modem in bridged mode and connecting a seperate router to that for use of all my connections (except the STB's since I believe they still need to work through the Telus modem directly (please correct me if I am wrong). So I have

a router ordered and will be trying that solution to see if that works. Again a possible solution not mentioned by Telus.

This problem has been escalated within Telus and your response has been the only one that has offered any possible solution rather than "disconnect your connections to see how many you can use without the drop outs"