cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot control Optik TV with my TV remote anymore (Sony Bravia)

PanaCana
Just Moved In

Hi,

I don't know if my kids changed some settings somewhere or if it's really a sudden issue but since last night, my Sony Bravia remote doesn't control my Optik TV anymore. (the remote works normally for everything else)

I unplugged the Optik TV, changed the battery on the remote and I even did a factory reset on the TV and re-paired Optik TV with the TV remote but it's still not working (I cannot change the channel for example)

Any idea what might cause this?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

It sounds like they may have reset the remote. You will likely need to reprogram it to work with Optik TV.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

xray
Hero

Does the Optik remote work?

LDX
Neighbour

I experienced the same thing on both of my new Sony TV, the A80J and X90J.  Suddenly one day the Sony remote would no longer control the Telus Optik box even though it was working fine for many days before.  Then 2 weeks later the same thing happened on my other Sony TV.  When I called Sony tech support the first time they ran through the standard flow chart procedures and got 'lucky' with re-setting up the remote.  When my A80J experienced the same problem today I tried re-setting up the remote multiple times with no luck.

However, I finally figured out a fix for the A80J.  Setup the cable box using the option where you enter the cable box manufacturer and model#.  I found that if I entered Arris then VIP5662W it would not work.  I had to choose Telus as the manufacturer and then VIP5662W as the model# and it worked!   I didn't bother trying to see if it was the actual fix but it did work.  I suspec there is some issue with the remote database that Sony enlists to provide remote codes.  I think they might not have the different Telus cable boxes setup correctly.  However, why the Sony remote suddenly loses the working setup intermittently is unknown.  Perhaps the Sony is 'smart' and refreshes its cable box setup periodically.  Unfortunately, since there might be a database issue (if my suspicion is correct) then this update is causing the wrong codes to be refreshed.  Just a guess on my part.

I wish I could talk to a Sony tech who truly knew if this is possible.  However calling Sony tech support from a fresh start is painful.  They will ask if I have plugged in the TV and 50 other mostly useless procedures...no time for it

Rockerkinski
Friendly Neighbour

My Sony A80J started to act up.  Sony remote was working fine and all of a sudden stopped controlling the TELUS 4K DVR.  Went through the Bravia setup but now the pause button does not work.  

Anyone experience the same problem?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Did you try what @LDX has suggested?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Yes, and there was no change. Everything except for pause works with the Sony remote.

I'm having the same issue.  I actually have the Telus "Technicolor UIW8001" 4K DVR and it works with when I set it up as a Telus VIP5662W on my Sony Android TV - everything works except for the pause button...

xray
Hero

Rockerkinski
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks for the info. Updated to the latest firmware with no change. Pause still not working with the Sony remote.

xray
Hero

Did you reconfigure the remote? If the IR remote code database was updated then the remote won't pick up the new codes until it's reprogrammed.

Rockerkinski
Friendly Neighbour
Yes, reconfigured after the firmware update and there was no change in remote behaviour.

xray
Hero

It's a strange situation. If Sony remote was working before and it stopped working then one of 2 things must have happened. Either the IR code sent by the Sony remote changed or the IR code understood by the Optik box changed. It's impossible that the IR code understood by the Optik box would have changed because that means the Optik remote would stop working.

Rockerkinski
Friendly Neighbour
I agree, strange situation. I have two Sony remotes (one original and one backlit from an A90J) and neither of them can pause the Optik DVR so I’m convinced that the Sony IR code for that function has changed. I’m back to using the original Optik remote until I can find a solution.

xray
Hero

I assume the A90J does not require an IR blaster cable connected to the TV and the IR is coming directly from the Sony remote?

I have a X900H and a X900E but have never set up the remotes for the Optik box. Too many buttons (functions) missing on the Sony remote to be a replacement for the Optik remote IMO.