cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic TV without internet

Hopeful
Neighbour

My father is in a care home and we want to provide him with the Basic TV package but he doesn't need internet. An agent told me this was not possible.  Could somebody confirm if that is correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So to clear up - whoever you were talking to is right...but also wrong.
Telus "Optik TV" is not "basic TV", at least not the way we grew up thinking about it.
Telus is IP (internet protocol) TV - or streamed TV over an internet connection.
SO - you NEED to have that internet connection to have TV. HOWEVER, what you don't need is the actual IP data side of the connection for wired/wifi devices.
When/if you move forward with Telus - tell them you only want to order TV/basic package without internet access. 

When the installer arrives at your father's care home - he'll hook everything up as normal, and then just shut off the wifi and networking capability of the modem/router. 
I used to be a Telus technician and I used to do this type of installation all the time for elderly folks who had no interest in the internet but wanted to have TV.
I haven't worked for Telus since 2019... so I'm not entirely sure if they still offer the "tv only" package...
If you can't get what you want from the person you are speaking with, ask to speak to their supervisor as it may require special access to override the order. 
And if they still can't get it done for you - might have to go with Shaw/Rogers.
Good luck! 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Hopeful , TELUS TV needs to be delivered over a TELUS connection. TELUS Internet is advised with the TV service especially if you watch a lot of 4K video, since TELUS TV usage is not counted against TELUS internet usage. In addition, if you use another network, the TV service will be considered out-of-home, and certain channels will not be available unless you have the in-home status. Hope that helps. 

As I said, he is in a care home and just needs BASIC TV. Apparently fibre optic is not available and so it is regular cable. 4k not required as basic tv and no streaming movies. Repeat BASIC TV required only!

So to clear up - whoever you were talking to is right...but also wrong.
Telus "Optik TV" is not "basic TV", at least not the way we grew up thinking about it.
Telus is IP (internet protocol) TV - or streamed TV over an internet connection.
SO - you NEED to have that internet connection to have TV. HOWEVER, what you don't need is the actual IP data side of the connection for wired/wifi devices.
When/if you move forward with Telus - tell them you only want to order TV/basic package without internet access. 

When the installer arrives at your father's care home - he'll hook everything up as normal, and then just shut off the wifi and networking capability of the modem/router. 
I used to be a Telus technician and I used to do this type of installation all the time for elderly folks who had no interest in the internet but wanted to have TV.
I haven't worked for Telus since 2019... so I'm not entirely sure if they still offer the "tv only" package...
If you can't get what you want from the person you are speaking with, ask to speak to their supervisor as it may require special access to override the order. 
And if they still can't get it done for you - might have to go with Shaw/Rogers.
Good luck! 

Thank you for your reply to my question. Telus are currently working on getting me something like what you have mentioned if they still can! I want prepared to pay the extra $50 per month for internet that wasn't needed and Rogers can offer a package without internet so I do have that option if necessary.

Rocky3
Rockstar

Does the care home not have any cable service that you can sign up for? 

Telus TV however has moved to internet based service. I will be surprised if they bring out old school tech. And with the issues we have with this new Telus TV why bring that to dad.