cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't Audio work on my VIP5662W PVR?

edmiidz
Organizer

I have tried rebooting PVR several times with no luck, including leaving the power off for several minutes.  I don't have any other PVRs to test, but my fire stick and Chromecast work fine in all of the HDMI ports, so it's definitely an issue with the Telus PVR.

The only other thing I can say is it was crashing daily when listening to YouTube, which I mentioned in these posts:

It seems this happens every two months:

I've  been on hold 22 minutes so far.  They always ask me what my Telus PIN is as if I should have memorized it, and literally take a tone with me as if I am somehow incompetent for not memorizing my broadband and TV provider PIN. In their message, they say "let's #EndBullying", but Telus is the biggest bully around with their prices, low quality equipment and poor customer service. This may seem like a stretch, but seriously, the societal cost of having such a bullying telecom in our lives definitely increases bullying on a whole and makes our society a little bit worse. Shame on us for enabling this bully and for the employees and shareholders who profit from it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PhilH
Neighbour

I have had the same issue yesterday.

Called Telus Tech...on hold for over 40min. Finally got a Tech who Updated the firmware, & also i=on the Router (I think).

Well after that All seemed good.

But this morning I have the same problem, but I noticed that the PVR is recording a show & the only channel that doesn't freeze or pictulae is that channel is recording.

I am waiting for the show to finish recording & will then check for freezing channels, then put in record mode again to verify...the another long call to Telus.....more to come.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I noted my PIN in a safe place, and have it ready anytime I make a support call to Telus. A PIN is the simplest means for them to identify you are truly the account holder. I don't see it as a big deal.

On the other topic, is your PVR connected to any form of amplifier, or directly to the TV? I have had troubles with a sound bar, and eventually moved the connection through it directly to the TV, and then th sound from the TV to the sound bar.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

PhilH
Neighbour

I have had the same issue yesterday.

Called Telus Tech...on hold for over 40min. Finally got a Tech who Updated the firmware, & also i=on the Router (I think).

Well after that All seemed good.

But this morning I have the same problem, but I noticed that the PVR is recording a show & the only channel that doesn't freeze or pictulae is that channel is recording.

I am waiting for the show to finish recording & will then check for freezing channels, then put in record mode again to verify...the another long call to Telus.....more to come.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I once had an issue with my old PVR where the only channel recording wasn't pixelated. It turned out to be the gigabit switch the PVR was connected to had gone bad. It still worked but whenever more than one TV stream was in use it started dropping data. It's likely a rare situation but not everyone is likely aware that it's possible. The tech that I had at my house identified it pretty fast. Now that issue may be something entirely different than you are experiencing but if you have a gigabit ethernet switch connected between your set top box and the modem, try bypassing it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Nighthawk:

Thanks for your reply.

I just spent 1 hour with Tech Support. Went thru factory reset of router. Rests of PVR & I still had the same issue of when on the Recording channel the picture was good, but changing to another channel would piculate/freeze.

I have a tech coming tomorrow to verify the wiring, & PVR.

I have had the TELUS system since December from 2019 & all was OK. My problem started on Wednesday/Thursday, so I can't see how wiring (CAT cable is the issue) maybe TELUS wiring!

The saga continues.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

In my case it was not the wiring but a network switch connected to it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

OK, Update:

Tech came this morning, but prior to his coming I found that the PVR was working as it should. Tried testing, 2 channels in record mode & then trying other channels, everything working as it should!

The only thing the tech found was 1 of my 4 receivers was not registered & he fixed that.

Another tech thing that is an unknown.