cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TELUS SENT ME TO COLLECTIONS WITHOUT ME KNOWING!?

crewe13
Just Moved In

I closed my internet account back in 2017. I thought everything was taken care of such as payments and closing balances etc.

I happened to check my junk mail in my folder today and I had an email from a collections agency called General Billing informing me that this is their 2nd attempt and I owe Telus $63. 

I was so confused. I never have overdue payments. I always pay my bills.

I haven't received any communication from Telus informing me that I still owe money from back in 2017, and it is now 2023. 

I am so mad. No phone calls. No snail mail. No emails. Just sent to the credit agency.

COME ON, TELUS!!! 

If I hadn't checked my junk mail, looking for an email that I didn't receive, this would have damaged my credit. 

Not cool.

2 REPLIES 2

xray
Hero
Are you sure it's not a phishing email? There's a reason your email app put it in the junk mail folder.

thedaveCA
Just Moved In

First, check your credit report to see if it is listed, if so, contact the company directly (not using contact information in the email -- Assume the email is a phishing attempt)

If you talk to them be sure to indicate you're willing to pay but request they provide everything in writing, including proof of the outstanding debt, final bills, etc.

If it is on your credit report, also request proof of what steps they have taken to try to contact you before reporting, while also disputing it with the credit reporting agency.

If it isn't on your credit report, and if your physical address hasn't changed, then it's a phish and can stay in the junk folder unless it has specifics like your account number (and even then, be wary).

Regardless, be cautious, and keep in mind that phishing attempts often try to freak you out a bit (giant bill, making threats if you don't take immediate action). 

Or just contact them and offer to pay in iTunes cards (half joking, but if it is a scam they might just jump at this while no legitimate agency would even consider it).