cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account number and postal code - enough to access anything?

mcalhed
Just Moved In

I got cold texted about a Telus internet promotion and gave them some info before changing my mind. All they asked for was my account number and postal code (which might as well be my building's address). I'm not 100% certain it was a scam as they weren't super pushy and didn't ask for anything else, but now I'm second guessing it.

Can they do anything with just this info? It doesn't feel like enough to pass a security check. I've heard that scammers can port your phone number with just the account number, but I don't use Telus for my phone plan anyway.

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The scammers could possibly do something with it if they're able to BS their way past the security questions/rules. It may be an idea to talk to Telus directly, either through chat or on the phone, to let them know what's going on and to ensure you have a PIN set on your account.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks for replying. I actually do have a PIN set, and had to use it recently on a call with Telus. I guess I'm probably fine? I'm just trying to convince myself I didn't make a rookie mistake after thinking I would never get scammed over text.