This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.
Could be many reasons...
- old legacy 3yr plans?
- corporate/employer/large group purchase plans?
- bundling with Optik TV?
- they brought their own device? You get a discount if you bring a fully paid phone with a Telus SIM.
- share plans?
- reduced coverage? If you have no problem paying roaming charges IN Canada, you might get a discount.
- are both including taxes? Too often people will quote me a rate BEFORE taxes. Unfair comparison.
- did you request optional services? Voice mail add's up.
- what plan do you have now? Is your current plan too big or too small?
That's the nature of promotions, loyalty offers and different pricing by province due to the different competitive dynamics. Exists in every industry around the globe, its not specific to telecom.
You can even see it in something as mundane as the price of toothpaste, where the store is located (lease costs) will drive the price up. Ex: buying toothpaste in the downtown core of a city vs. out in the suburbs.