cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the pre-paid plans work at 5G speeds?

mindKILLER
Friendly Neighbour

Simple question, but the chatbot unfortunately couldn't answer it, so I'll have to ask here.

I'm getting a new phone that can connect to 5G, but my old carrier doesn't support 5G. It looks like Telus has a 5G network, and their regular monthly plans seem to include 5G connectivity. But the website doesn't say anything about the speed of the pre-paid plans.

• data
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm not sure if any of the companies offering 5G are enabling it on the pre-paid plans. I'd assume 3G or LTE but you may need to contact Telus directly to confirm. Telus Mobility is: 1-866-558-2273.

Is the new phone one purchased from Canada or an overseas vendor? Not too many of the overseas ones will work with the current few 5G frequencies used in Canada.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm not sure if any of the companies offering 5G are enabling it on the pre-paid plans. I'd assume 3G or LTE but you may need to contact Telus directly to confirm. Telus Mobility is: 1-866-558-2273.

Is the new phone one purchased from Canada or an overseas vendor? Not too many of the overseas ones will work with the current few 5G frequencies used in Canada.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I'm looking at the OnePlus Nord N200 5G. I tried to reply a minute ago but I think it got caught by the spam filter.

Quick follow-up: looks like the wait time for calling in is over an hour, and I'm not sure if Telus staff check these forums, so I don't think I'll get to talk to them.

I tried to link to this site, but it got caught in the spam filter: kimovil /en/frequency-checker/CA/oneplus-nord-n200-5g

I think it should work on 5G, but OnePlus's support doesn't seem to know either. Their explanation is, "even if a carrier supports a given frequency, the phone may not work unless it is on the carrier's list of supported devices." But I don't see any list of supported devices here.

OnePlus supports band 66 which is the same one on which Telus is offering its 5G service. So in theory it should work. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

In theory if you had a 5G plan it might. The pre-paid plans are all LTE at best currently.