cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for Easy Roam Us on BC Ferry to Galiano Island

Bean99
Just Moved In

It looks like I was charged for using Easy Roam US without going into the US recently.  I was sitting on the BC ferry to Galiano Isalnd, and noticed well after I arrived that I had gotten an e-mail notification that my account was travelling outside of the Canada.  I wound up getting charged Easy Roam for the day, even though I hadn't taken my phone out to use.  I was wondering if this is a common occurence on this Ferry route.  Tried calling account services to ask about this, but wound up waiting > 1.5 hours and had to call again later because Account, Billing, and Sales shuts down at 7 PM.  Was irritating to have to deal with this.  Shouldn't have to worry about roaming charges on a BC Ferry.

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Radio signals don’t respect international boundaries. Your phone will pick the strongest signal, unless you restrict it to one particular carrier. You also should not have been billed for Easy Roam, unless you used the phone to receive or make a call, or sent text messages, as incoming SMS are free.

If you want to prevent this in future, you can go to the carrier settings on your phone and deselect the Automatic carrier option, and select Telus from the list which populates. Your phone will then use only the Telus network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

BillTelusCust
Rockstar

BC Ferries sometimes go into US waters and as said above, radio waves don't respect boundaries anyways. Anyone living on the lower part of Vancouver island or the south part of the lower mainland should have their carrier settings set to "telus" only but remember if you have to make a 911 call to switch it back if you are not on a Telus tower or in a Telus area.

traceynovember
Just Moved In

We had the same issue while in Victoria BC. Waiting on hold with Telus call support for an hour and a half to have the call dropped, no online support. Very frustrating/infuriating. But where else do we turn to? 

traceynovember
Just Moved In

We had this happen when we were in Victoria BC a couple weeks ago. Very frustrating trying to contact Telus, dropped calls after over an hour and a half and canned answers on telus chat line. UGH

binitafelicity
Just Moved In

It looks like I was charged for using Easy Roam US without going into the US recently. I was sitting on the BC ferry to Galiano Isalnd, and noticed.Get a FREE room upgrade this fall when you book a 2-night stay & return ferry with     cps-tester.co     BC Ferries Vacations. View packages. People onboard BC Ferries on the outer .Telus is the incumbent local exchange carrier in British Columbia and Alberta. ... Charged for Easy Roam Us on BC Ferry to Galiano Island in Mobility ...This is a complete guide to cycling the Gulf Islands in British Columbia. Looked for details on each Gulf Island including route notes.