cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Messages.

LRZ
Just Moved In

I don't have data on my smart phone.

I only receive text messages when connected to wifi- causing me to miss out on some important text messages.

Help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @LRZ,

There are many different solutions to this problem, most solutions however will have some pros and cons to outweigh.

First lets get a better understanding of whats going on...

You are currently on a plan which included Calling & Texting, without access to data. Here are the types of messages you can send/receive based on whether or not you are connected to WiFi.

• You can send/receive SMS text messages anywhere
    At home with or without WiFi, at the beach, or at the park

• You cant send/receive OTT (iMessage) anywhere
    You must be connected to WiFI at home, a hotel, or other location that offers WiFi. If you are at the beach, and someone sends you an iMessage, you will receive it once your phone connects to WiFi. 

• You cant send/receive MMS text messages
    MMS required access to data. By adding a TELUS Data Block for a few dollars, you can use MSS while still having no access to data.

Learn more about the 3 different types of text messages.

SMS

• Contains less than 160 characters.
  • Works for any cellphone plan that includes texting.
  • Does not use WiFi or cellular data

MMS

• Contains more than 160 characters or contains photos, videos, and other attachments.
  • Works for any cellphone plan that includes texting with a cellular data plan.
  • Does not use WiFi

OTT
  Examples: iMessage, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, Skype, and more.

• Contains any amount of characters, photos, videos, and other attachments. 3rd party app limitations may vary.
  • Works on any cellphone, tablet, and some computers.
  • Requires an internet connection (WiFi or Cellular Data)

Solutions

Option #1 - Adding data to your plan (Recommended)

• Upgrade your cellphone plan to include data. This is by far the easiest solution and is what most of your friends and family are using.
  • You can now use SMS, MSS, and OTT using WiFi or using Data. 

Option #2 - Adding a data block to your plan (loophole - with pros and cons)

• In the following order: Add a TELUS Data Block feature for a few dollars a month. Disable iMessage (on iPhone and iPad). Enable data on your cellphone (don't worry, you wont be charged for data usage, unless you remove the TELUS Data Block).
  • You can now use both SMS, and MMS messages with or without WiFi
  • You cant use iMessage, but you can still use other OTT options using WiFi - but will not receive them if your at the beach, or at a park which does not have WiFi.

Option #3 - Disable iMessage (on all your Apple devices)

• Disable iMessage on all your devices.
  • You will now only receive SMS messages with less than 160 characters.
  • If someone sends you a message longer than 160 characters, or sends a picture, video, or document, the sender will receive a "Message failed to send" error. Based on the settings of the senders phone, the phone may automatically split the long message into smaller messages 160 characters or less, or the sender will have the re-send the message bit-by-bit.  

I hope that helps resolve the issues you are facing with not always receiving your text messages.

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If they were actual plain text messages, they would come through without wifi. They are likely being sent as MMS or iMessage if you are on an iPhone.

Which phone do you have and which app are you using to send and receive messages?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I think it is an iPhone 5. 

Friends who are trying to text me with their iPhones are unable to unless I am set up with wifii- making it frustrating with them.

Right now I have it on the setting that iMessages can be sent between iPhones/ipad etc (so that I don't waste text messages when connected to wifii), and also have it set as send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable- however this hasn't been the case- they haven't been coming through at all when not on wifii.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you want certainty of receiving messages, it is best to turn off iMessage. The ‘send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable’ does not always work as expected, especially if you have a second Apple device such as an iPad. It also works poorly when used intermittently on cellular or Wi-Fi; it behaves best between Wi-Fi and Cellular Data.

Your friends iPhones think your phone can receive iMessages, and they sit on Apple’s servers awaiting your phone reconnecting to a data network.

You could also consider the purchase of a small amount of data to cover your time away from Wi-Fi.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @LRZ,

There are many different solutions to this problem, most solutions however will have some pros and cons to outweigh.

First lets get a better understanding of whats going on...

You are currently on a plan which included Calling & Texting, without access to data. Here are the types of messages you can send/receive based on whether or not you are connected to WiFi.

• You can send/receive SMS text messages anywhere
    At home with or without WiFi, at the beach, or at the park

• You cant send/receive OTT (iMessage) anywhere
    You must be connected to WiFI at home, a hotel, or other location that offers WiFi. If you are at the beach, and someone sends you an iMessage, you will receive it once your phone connects to WiFi. 

• You cant send/receive MMS text messages
    MMS required access to data. By adding a TELUS Data Block for a few dollars, you can use MSS while still having no access to data.

Learn more about the 3 different types of text messages.

SMS

• Contains less than 160 characters.
  • Works for any cellphone plan that includes texting.
  • Does not use WiFi or cellular data

MMS

• Contains more than 160 characters or contains photos, videos, and other attachments.
  • Works for any cellphone plan that includes texting with a cellular data plan.
  • Does not use WiFi

OTT
  Examples: iMessage, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, Skype, and more.

• Contains any amount of characters, photos, videos, and other attachments. 3rd party app limitations may vary.
  • Works on any cellphone, tablet, and some computers.
  • Requires an internet connection (WiFi or Cellular Data)

Solutions

Option #1 - Adding data to your plan (Recommended)

• Upgrade your cellphone plan to include data. This is by far the easiest solution and is what most of your friends and family are using.
  • You can now use SMS, MSS, and OTT using WiFi or using Data. 

Option #2 - Adding a data block to your plan (loophole - with pros and cons)

• In the following order: Add a TELUS Data Block feature for a few dollars a month. Disable iMessage (on iPhone and iPad). Enable data on your cellphone (don't worry, you wont be charged for data usage, unless you remove the TELUS Data Block).
  • You can now use both SMS, and MMS messages with or without WiFi
  • You cant use iMessage, but you can still use other OTT options using WiFi - but will not receive them if your at the beach, or at a park which does not have WiFi.

Option #3 - Disable iMessage (on all your Apple devices)

• Disable iMessage on all your devices.
  • You will now only receive SMS messages with less than 160 characters.
  • If someone sends you a message longer than 160 characters, or sends a picture, video, or document, the sender will receive a "Message failed to send" error. Based on the settings of the senders phone, the phone may automatically split the long message into smaller messages 160 characters or less, or the sender will have the re-send the message bit-by-bit.  

I hope that helps resolve the issues you are facing with not always receiving your text messages.

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

Rob1975
Neighbour
my wife had this issue after a update it shut off her data In the settings just had to turn it back on