cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I purchased a Galaxy III and kept my old Galaxy S - I want to let my daughter use it.....

Do_Telus
Just Moved In

Question:  The Galaxy S is formatted for use with Telus.  What is the process of moving my daughter's phone number from her existing service (Virgin Mobile) and using it on my old Galaxy with Telus?  I am guessing that we'll need to do this at the Telus outlet so we can get a new SIM card.  Are there other charges?  Is there an activation charge?  Is there a number transfer charge? What else do I need to know?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Pamely
Ambassador

Hey,

Yes is very simple all you need to do is purchas a new SIM from Telus, that you can get from any Telus Store for $10. then Telus can activate the phone, at the moment of setting phone number you will need to let the representative know that you have already a number from Virgin Mob and that you want to PORT IN the number, you will need to have in handy your account number from Virgin Mobile, Pin or Serial number of phone that you use with them, it is ok if you have only one Telus can do process. Then your account is going to be activated and will be fully working within next 30 mins to 2 and a half hours. Once everything is done you will get a confirmation text message on the Samsung Galx. S. I hope this will help you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

WongTong
Leader

There are no fees except for the purchase of a new sim card at 10$. You'll have to activate it as a new client and when comes the time to assign a phone number, you'll have the option to port in an existing other carrier's number for free. You'll need your Virgin's phone to scan in the serial number

Pamely
Ambassador

Hey,

Yes is very simple all you need to do is purchas a new SIM from Telus, that you can get from any Telus Store for $10. then Telus can activate the phone, at the moment of setting phone number you will need to let the representative know that you have already a number from Virgin Mob and that you want to PORT IN the number, you will need to have in handy your account number from Virgin Mobile, Pin or Serial number of phone that you use with them, it is ok if you have only one Telus can do process. Then your account is going to be activated and will be fully working within next 30 mins to 2 and a half hours. Once everything is done you will get a confirmation text message on the Samsung Galx. S. I hope this will help you.

Lethal
Connector

Additionally, this will send a cancellation notice to Virgin so they will then prepare your final invoice (if any amount owing - check your commitment with them to know for sure). 

Do_Telus
Just Moved In

Thank you for mentioning the part about making sure I didn't have a committment to them - I knew I did but I was so sick of getting their "sorry, our site is down for maintenance, alternatively, we are expieriencing higher than normal activity.  Please try again later" message anytime I wanted to check my account status or change to a different rate plan, etc... that I didn't really care that I still owed them $113.  However, if I wasn't aware of this, I wouldn't have appreciated the surprise, so thanks for saying something.  Not to bash Virgin, but they do put out a lot of promises about keeping the price low (it's my daughter's phone and I don't want to pay for bells and whistles - she can get a job if she wants to ring a bell) then you find that you really do need those  - like call display when you have a limited number of voice minutes - since you don't know whether to answer it or not, you end up picking up telemarketer calls and "you've won a cruise" recordings.  You would assume that if you have the number in your contacts, it would display that number - whether or not you have "call display" but it doesn't, so my daughter wasn't picking up my calls and I ended up paying another $7/month for call display.  Pretty soon, you've added the missing elements "a la carte" to your no frills plan and suddenly you're paying more than you would if you had gone with another carrier with a plan that includes that stuff...... well, maybe I do mean to bash Virgin.